Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Roy Jones Hurt His Legacy By Getting KTFO Too Many Times

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When srr retired it wasn't because he was worried that anymore losses might effect his legacy

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
      Ezzard Charles suffered 7 KO losses, 5 of which came in the last 5 years of his career. He's still universally regarded as an ATG.

Chavez Sr.'s only four stoppage losses occured in his later years. He's still universally regarded as an ATG.

Sugar Ray Robinson lost 5 out of his last 11 fights to lesser opponents. He's universally regarded as the #1 fighter in history.

Roberto Duran lost 3 of his last 5 fights, has several losses to journeyman and is still universally regarded as a top 5-10 ATG.

The list goes on. These losses have 0 impact on what people will think of Roy Jones 10-15 years from now.
      These are good points.

But the time of Roy's career and the way he was stopped and infront of everyone to see may make it different.

But, he'll still go down as one of the ATG's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        boxing fans are typically very lenient towards losses but surely there must be some repercussions for being ko'd 10 times
        No. We live in an age of tape. Jones can lose a million times, when he was a great fighter he was incredible. having said that I think Tarver beat him legitimately. But with that said, Jones just has a taste for the canvas, and he has earned the right to enjoy being left on the canvas face first from now til eternity.

Comment

He will be back and stronger than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            No way around it..imagine if Floyd came back and got ko'd 6 times..you think his legacy would be the same?
            Yes his legacy would be the same...Thats the thing, having a 0 means nothing. Floyd hurt his legacy more fighting so defensively and with so many conditions and with avoiding pac, and catchweighting for so long (pac was also responsible for this it works both ways). A real boxing fan can look at the tape and see how great a fighter was. Also one can see who the fighters beat and when.

Real fans don't even need the judges decisions. Floyd arguably lost to Castillo no matter what the judges did. Floyd and Roy are two of the best of the modern era and if one does not believe that? Watch the Jones Calslappy fight and ponder how Joe thoroughly dominated Jones and how great that makes Joe C...You see where I am going with that statement?

Larry when I first first posting many moons ago, I naively questioned Jones compared to Calzighe and a veteran poster set me right... Does anyone think no matter how Jones fights on, that at his best he would not anihlate Calzighe and the like?

Comment

Can't help but feel they've tainted it a bit, even though I know they shouldn't.

Comment

No, Roy Jones' losses don't mean anything in terms of status. If anything, they'll serve as a historical indicator that he mismanaged his money, but that's all. Everyone knows that the real Roy Jones is almost unbeatable. And they also know that's not who we're seeing now. We're seeing, as is the case with most boxers eventually, an old man trying to dig himself out of a financial hole. That's it.
                Last edited by SunSpace; 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

He should have retired after his 50th fight.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
                    No, I remember Michael Jordan playing for the Wizards and he's still considered the greatest NBA player.
                    Tend to think like this. For me personally these last 10 or so years are like a bad dream as a big RJJ fan back in the day, but historically I think it means lil. I mean go back & look at great fighters of the past. I think SRR lost like 3 fights during his "first" career & than about 15+/- during his comeback. Jack Johnson fought til he was 53 & lost 5 of his last 7 fights. Boxing history is littered with **** like that so RJJ's legacy is ultimately going to be cemented with his MW, SMW, LHW & HW run & all the stuff post-Tarver will be bad dream worthy for fans like myself when its all said & done.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                      For me personally, it doesn't. The real Roy to me retired long ago... I look at this version for what it is, as a past his prime shadow of his former self. The sad thing is that the newer generations probably know him for what they see nowadays.
                      Same here, nothing that happens now can erase his accomplishments, its a shame to see it keep happening to him but he was once a great fighter he just cant let go for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X