No announcement yet.

Chris Arreola: "Mayweather beats a Prime Julio Cesar Chavez"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
    Floyd is too much of set-reset type of fighter for that equation. This is exactly my point. Taylor could let off combinations from anywhere at any position at any angle. Same goes with Whitaker. Floyd compartmentalizes offense and defense in a completely different way. He needs comfort and room to work and prefers not to fight in transition. You're straight up comparing Taylor and Mayweather. That's like comparing off-road racing and racing on a track.
    This is the most absurd statement regarding mayweather skillset I have ever read. Truly ignorant.

I covered this topic's millions of times so I will just refer you to a article by Steve C. that best sums up Mayweather's skillset, and the way he fights in transition.

Originally posted by Horus View Post
    Floyd Mayweather : The ‘Sweet Science’
    Steve Coleman

For me what makes boxing the ‘Sweet Science’ is not two guys just slugging it out in a 'see who falls first' scenario. It is seeing some real skill and artistry in the ring.

In Boxing defense is not often given the credit it deserves and Floyd's defense is one of the best that I have ever seen. The only other boxers whose defense is similar in some respects is James Toney.

1. Mayweather's defense

Key to Mayweather's defense is the fact that he is always moving as well as the rhythm,speed and smoothness of his movements, this is what makes this defense effective.

All the while his opponent is punching.
    Floyd is
    • rolling,
    • slipping,
    • pivoting at the waist,
    • feinting,
    • bobbing and weaving,
    • constantly displaying various ‘modes’ of movement .

The rhythm of the rolling is very interesting because most opponents alternate their punches in a very predictable way, only occasionally doubling up with the same hand in the middle of flurries.

When his body is turned to his right Floyd's left shoulder usually rolls up high to deflect punches and sometimes additionally he uses his left arm to deflect punches, it depends on the angle of the punch. Shots to this left side of his body are usually deflected upward and/or in front of him. When Mayweather's body is turned to the left his right hand is held up high with his elbow tucked in, so these shots get blocked also, a few well placed body shots can get in but Floyd is already rolling after the first punch connects.

On the rare occasion where a fighter does double up with the same hand Floyd usually catches this and improvises by adjusting his rhythm with a series of 'changes of direction' in his rolling. The thing to notice is the timing, all fighters have a rhythm to their movements which can be timed by an experienced opponent after several rounds of boxing.
    2.Two different overall rhythmic forms:
    1. the rhythm of offensive motion
    2. the rhythm of defensive motion.

There are usually two different overall rhythmic forms, what I call the set-up rhythm
    (preparing to punch or waiting to counterpunch, depending on the style of the boxer)
    the rhythm of offensive motion and the rhythm of defensive motion.

However Floyd, like many great boxers varies these rhythms in subtle ways that are difficult for opponents to time, and he can seamlessly flow from one rhythmic form to the next without any break in the forms. Usually the opponent is not even aware that the transition has occurred until it is too late.

3.The name of the game is not aggressiveness, it is 'effective aggressiveness'.

Most of Floyd's Opponents punches get deflected and do not do much damage. Also use up a lot of energy in the process.
    It is tiring and frustrating to punch at a target that constantly making you miss.

What constantly surprises me is the ignorance of the HBO commentators Jim Lampley,and Larry Merchant They kept talking about that Floyd should stay off the ropes. Now these HBO cats have seen so many fights they should know certain techniques by now.

4.Floyd Rest on The Ropes:

First of all Floyd get's hit with very few punches when he is on the ropes. Many times during Floyd's fights Floyd would rest while letting His Opponents flail away at him, this is a calculated ploy that only works because of the nature of Floyd's defensive skills.

Sometimes Floyd lays on the ropes, sometimes he stands in the middle of the ring right in front of his opponent, in neither case opponents rarely actually connects with thier punches in significant numbers.

Floyd's sense of the flow of a fight is fantastic.

5.Staying 'in the pocket',

When Floyd stands 'in the pocket', meaning that Mayweather was so close to His Opponent that they can not get the proper leverage on their punches.
    There is an optimum distance that most fighters need to execute effectively.

6.The Science of Floyd's Offense

Offensively Floyd, 'place' his shots, he is not just wasting energy throwing punches. Even when he is in these defensive stances he is looking for well placed shots in the middle of the other boxer's flurries Notice that his eyes are wide open and they are seeing everything that is happening.
    With many other top fighters this is not the case.

It is a natural reflex to close your eyes when an object is coming at your face and great boxers train to counter this tendency.

In the Joel Casamayor vs. Diego Corrales fight both boxers had defensive lapses while concentrating on offensive and there were moments when both fighters closed their eyes while punching.

Shane Mosley also closed his eyes a lot and flinched when Vernon Forrest had him against the ropes.

7.The Science of Movement

Changes of speed and direction, pivoting and spinning, dipping, rocking, backpedaling, sidestepping, feinting, weaving, side-slipping, angles––all are part of a repertoire of constantly shifting balancing mannerisms designed to alter the perspective of the observer, a kind of slick motion geometry. I call these various types of counterbalancing movement techniques ‘modalities of rhythm’.

This tradition has always been passed down from master to student mainly through experiencing the ‘feel’ of these modalities as well as using analogy to pass on information. However it is the insights that are gained through these experiences and the ability to execute that creates masters.

Floyd Mayweather Has Mastered The ‘Sweet Science’

Comment

the way that you know that someone doesn't know much about chavez's style is when they associate it with castillos............(all because they sparred)

chavez was a guy with underrated boxing skills and came forward with a body and head attack (he fought a very high volume fight but A clean fight)
      castillo on the other hand is and will always be known for his dirty tactics (the exact opposite of chavez) castillos dirty tactics is what threw mayweather off & not his actual ability.......the constant punches below the belt, on the hip, on the leg (tying up while pressing his head in maywether chest and whacking on the leg & hip with a free arm) those are the things that got to mayweather and threw him off in the 1st fight........castillo also ballooned up 10 pounds heavier (he really worked that weight advantage) chavez would not have a weight advantage nore does he do the same fundamentally dirty things that castillo could get away with.........

mayweathers style is horrible for chavez...........down right horrible.

whitaker is your guy that would give mayweather fits..............not chavez.
      Last edited by Godsfly; 03-28-2014, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Horus View Post
        This is the most absurd statement regarding mayweather skillset I have ever read. Truly ignorant.

I covered this topic's millions of times so I will just refer you to a article by Steve C. that best sums up Mayweather's skillset, and the way he fights in transition.
        Says the Mayweather propagandist.

Yeah, I'll beat you've covered this "millions of times."

Are you denying Mayweather largely compartmentalizes offense and defense and prefers not to fight in transition???

Comment

I have to go with Chavez by unanimous decision. Jose Luis Castillo had success against Mayweather and he's like a Diet Coke version of Chavez. Chavez is the real deal Coca Cola. Prime Chavez was a beast.

Comment

Mayweather wins a decision i'm sure of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              i get what your saying, but floyd at 140 or under was a much different fighter than the one we see today that "resets"

I honestly have no doubt in my mind that floyd that fought gatti or corley would beat chavez of 90....

Now if its chavez at 130 135 then its a different story
              Appearances would certainly seem to indicate that but he's never not been a guy who doesn't take on a fully defensive posture during the course of a fight. And I'm not talking about making people miss or any of that crap. I'm talking about jumping back halfway across the ring and playing keep-away with his always faster feet. I'll only partially agree with you.

Comment

Whoa very hard to tell... True 50-50 fight! 140 and above I have got to go with Mayweather 130-135 I'm just not so sure, slightly favour Chavez!

Comment

Chris is a smart man.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                    Says the Mayweather propagandist.

Yeah, I'll beat you've covered this "millions of times."

Are you denying Mayweather largely compartmentalizes offense and defense and prefers not to fight in transition???
                    My guy Mayweather doesnt stop and start.
                    He fights in rhythm! His offense is his defense. The reason being is that he is constantly moving. While Floyd's opponent is preparing to punch Floyd is already counterpunching,and vice versa; While Floyd's opponent is waiting to counterpunch, Floyd is already punching. It is all one motion.
                    It is not stop and start. It is rhythm and flow.

Changes of speed and direction, pivoting and spinning, dipping, rocking, backpedaling, sidestepping, feinting, weaving, side-slipping, angles all are part of a repertoire of constantly shifting balancing mannerisms designed to alter the perspective of the observer, a kind of slick motion geometry.

Chavez is a all time great! All time. I truly believe he would have given Mayweather a hell of a fight. However, Mayweather will have gave Chavez way more problems, than Chavez would have gave mayweather.
                    For example:
                    Mayweather jab, Lead right hand, and ability to neutralize chavez rhythm would have Chavez lost in "Transition"
                    Last edited by Horus; 03-28-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      No way it was 7-5, but it was 9-3 or 8-4. It was not the wipeout 11 or 12 round domination people like to say it was. It followed the same pattern as the first fight until the championship rounds; Floyd won the early rounds, Castillo took the middle, and the difference was Floyd took the championship rounds in the rematch.
                      judges had it 115-113 x 2, and 116-113. so yeah it was like a 7-5 or 8-4, castillo took the last round of the fight too, which made it closer.

Comment

Working...
                      X