No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs the all-time greats at junior lightweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    the sad thing is for Mayweather you left out Carlos Hernandez who won a title after he moved up...Carlos Gerena was a perennial contender as well when floyd beat him only lost early in his career, lost in a title challenge to HOF Genero Hernandez

See that guy is a joke he aint no true boxing fan
    I was only listing guys who were in the Top 10 at the time. I know Floyd beat Hernandez, who went on to become a champion and a Top 10 SFW a couple years later, which makes that a solid win for Floyd. And Carlos Gerena was a good fringe contender fight for Floyd, but he wasnt in the Top 10 at 130 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      I was only listing guys who were in the Top 10 at the time. I know Floyd beat Hernandez, who went on to become a champion and a Top 10 SFW a couple years later, which makes that a solid win for Floyd. And Carlos Gerena was a good fringe contender fight for Floyd, but he wasnt in the Top 10 at 130 at the time.
      who do you think has the best shot at beating him at this weight?

Comment

who do you think has the best shot at beating him at this weight?
        Well I'd pick Floyd to beat anyone H2H at 130, but I think Arguello would have been a tough fight. He was a bit taller than Floyd, and the same length as Floyd, so Floyd's reach wouldn't be a big advantage.. Arguello was a big SFW.

And the other toughest one would be Chavez. He would make Floyd work for everything, relentless pressure.

Chavez and Arguello for me.

Comment

I feel you either Chavez or Arguello

Comment

Mayweather is definitely one of the greatest ever at this weight...although he didnt stay at the weight a longtime he accomplished alot, and shot that he was destined to become an all-time great...so I will list the greatest super featherweights of all time and lets discuss how he would fair against them in NO PARTICULAR ORDER

1) Alexis Arguello
            2)Azumah Nelson
            3)Flash Elorde
            4)Sammy Serrano
            5)Kid Chocolate
            6)Julio Cesar Chavez
            7)Sandy Saddler
            8)Brian Mitchell
            9)Alfredo Escalara
            10)Hiroshi Kaboyashi

I think he could possibly beat them all he was huge for the weight, probably the most athletically gifted champion there and already had a great defense

IMO Arguello and Sandy Sadder had the best shot....Saddler because of the power size and rough tactics...Arguello with that great power and technique
            I agree with what you said but I never saw some of those guys fight. Floyd was at his best at 130 but Saddler and Arguello would be dangerous for the reasons you stated. It's possible he could beat all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              I agree with what you said but I never saw some of those guys fight. Floyd was at his best at 130 but Saddler and Arguello would be dangerous for the reasons you stated. It's possible he could beat all of them.
              go on youtube and check em out...Sammy Serrano was really good in the late 70's and early 80's...who havent you checked out yet?

Comment

well imo he was 5'8" 72 inch reach....his arm length is 26"...only guys he fought that were taller than him were Corrales and Hernandez who were both almost 6'0"...he was slender not muscled bound but i feel like he was big for the weight considering how well he moved up in weight as well too and filled out
                When Floyd moved up to fight Castillo, he was 136 on fight night.

Please compare that to Pac, Morales, barrera, etc who were 140 or more fighting as SFW's.

Pac was a SFW and weighing 144 on fight night.

Comment

The 130 version of Hector Camacho gives Floyd hell. great speed, above average power, and southpaw.

Comment

Originally posted by istmeno View Post
                    The 130 version of Hector Camacho gives Floyd hell. great speed, above average power, and southpaw.
                    I left him off but definitely...the speed, busy style and a southpaw wouldve been a great fight

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                      When Floyd moved up to fight Castillo, he was 136 on fight night.

Please compare that to Pac, Morales, barrera, etc who were 140 or more fighting as SFW's.

Pac was a SFW and weighing 144 on fight night.
                      you are right...those guys did put on alot of weight...but as far as his height, body frame and length he was pretty big for the weight...he is one of the few fighters i see today that couldve made weight in the same day weigh in era

Comment

Working...
                      X