Your first ever Boxing session

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first ever Boxing session

How nervous were you?

I'm taking my little brother today, he's 20 years old and I can tell he's really nervous and apprehensive.

Can you start boxing at the age of 20 and become succesful?

I wasn't very nervous, just anxious to get started.

Yes you can be successful starting at the age of 20, its becoming more & more common. There are many examples of guys starting at or around 20 that have gone on to become world champions including Sergio Martinez & Bernard Hopkins.

Personally I feel it can sometimes be better to start a little later. Late starters can lack in experience if pushed to quickly but they've likely been in a lot less gym wars & have fresher joints and such.

Comment

Yeah, I've told him about Martinez/BHop. He's been wanting to start up for a while now, I think he's a little scared about getting hit and not knowing how he's going to react, he doesn't want to be humiliated.

To be fair to him I think he'd make a decent little fighter, got good handspeed and he can dig. That's a good base to start from.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintGeorge View Post
        Yeah, I've told him about Martinez/BHop. He's been wanting to start up for a while now, I think he's a little scared about getting hit and not knowing how he's going to react, he doesn't want to be humiliated.

To be fair to him I think he'd make a decent little fighter, got good handspeed and he can dig. That's a good base to start from.
        Everyone gets hit, everyone gets rocked, everyone gets knocked down. Best that it happens in sparring than in a real fight or the ring.

He may get teased a little for it, but the teasing is coming from guys who've experienced it as well... It's fine to be humiliated (or as some called "given a boxing lesson") as long as it doesn't get to him.

I've had my ass handed to me by teenagers before, teenagers who I'd crush like bugs in a real fight. But this is a sport, and people with more experience will be better until he catches up. All part of the game.

First boxing session, I was a little nervous and very confused, and was too concerned with gym etiquite and etc that It actually took longer to settle in than it should have.
        Also I signed up at the same time as two jackasses my same age, and always got lumped in with them, and they were disrespectful trouble makers, and although I wasn't even with them, I always got repremanded with them every time they were being disrespectful.

Comment

Working...
        X