Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if FMJ was fighting the likes of Brand in his prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

henry bruseles? thats the more recent one...Andre Berto did lose to Jesus Soto Karass as well.
    P. Ndou, Victoriano Sosa, Augustus, Gerena, Juuko, Carlos Rios...

At least Floyd was young and active back then though...
    Last edited by -Hyperion-; 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
      henry bruseles? thats the more recent one...Andre Berto did lose to Jesus Soto Karass as well.
      P. Ndou, Victoriano Sosa, Augustus, Gerena, Juuko, Carlos Rios...

At least Floyd was young and active back then though...
      I don't think Brussels was a geriatric tho. Brand is knocking 40.

Brand is the WBF world champion. Can someone tell me what that is?

Comment

Floyd would have gotten slaughtered for it and rightfully so. People complained about him fighting sub par but decent opposition in Ortiz and Guerrero...now American fight fans are used to an EVEN LOWER level of opposition for their top fighters and can't complain about Ward because fights like this have become the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by 1g5a22 View Post
          Exactly WHO has Brand beat let alone fought? Most I can find out about him is he's an Extreme Unicyclist in his spare time..
          I'm a Ward fan but I don't know what this does to prepare him for Kova. I guess fighting a Brand prepares you for a brand name.

Comment

Come on give me one example of a guy like Brand that Floyd fought in his pomp & when he was considered the USA's best boxer & active at world level? (& I don't mean his early build up opponents so don't play that card, Ward is already proven & a p4p fighter, I'm talking about when Floyd was considered the elite) Take another US great.. How about an example of a prime Oscar opponent too? This is truly awful! Ward you joke..
            ....so im guessing you didnt see a prime ODLH fight no name patrick carpentier

every top fighter in history has fought over-matched opposition. Its a part of boxing.

Comment

Brand is 39 & has fought 3 times in the last 3 years.. Only one name stands out on his resume (a loss to TO Badou Jack) Plied his trade as an amateur at MW too. Yet he's fighting Ward at 175! This is actually a jaw droppingly awful & comical opponent pick.. Is he even B level?! May as-well have got Russell Brand as an opponent.. What if FMJ was fighting these guys in his prime? Don't get me wrong I have my criticisms of FMJ but isn't Ward supposed to be the USA's boxing superstar right now? It's not like he doesn't have 175 opposition to chose from is it? It's stacked! I hadn't even heard of Brand til the other day.. Where does Ward get em from? Barrera & Brand I mean come on LOL Can someone explain the point of this fight? If you are going to ply your trade at 175 then at least be serious & don't make a mockery of it..
              ... it isn't "comical", it's pathetic...
              Last edited by MDPopescu; 06-29-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

It's not comparable because Floyd made $100 million fighting on PPV 1-2 times per year. Ward makes a fraction of that.

Ward's 2 primary fights this year are Barrera and Kovalev which isn't bad compared to Pac/Berto, Guerero/Canelo, Maidana x 2. If Floyd fought Guerrero, a bum then Canelo or Pacquiao and wasn't making as much it would be similar.

I don't care about the Brand fight and I will likely miss it because I will be out of town that weekend. But it's not a fight to prepare for Kovalev. It's a cash grab because Ward has a 3 fight deal with HBO that ends with Kovalev. So why pass what's basically free money?

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  ....so im guessing you didnt see a prime ODLH fight no name patrick carpentier

every top fighter in history has fought over-matched opposition. Its a part of boxing.
                  At least he was in his 20's.

Over matched? You are exposing yourself by trying to argue & justify it..

40 year old who lost to Badou Jack & nothing more! He's barely ever even fought at LHW! Has he ever?
                  Last edited by 1g5a22; 06-29-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    ... it isn't "comical", it's pathetic...
                    AGreed, but MD why would HBO approve a fight like this?

Comment

At least he was in his 20's.

Over matched? You are exposing yourself by trying to argue & justify it..

40 year old who lost to Badou Jack & nothing more! He's barely ever even fought at LHW! Has he ever?
                      overmatched is overmatched...20 years old or 40 years old

If i just said he is overmatched, what am i trying to justify? you are ******ed...can you comprehend what you read

dude you are name dropping and didnt even watch the fight....Badou himself said he had trouble with the guy

Comment

Working...
                      X