Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Really Happened with Dave Chappelle and Chappelle Show???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there is all kinda epic speculation thrown out there with this whole situation & Chappelle & others pin in all sorts of weird **** that influenced it going down, but I bet the reality is more like dude just cracked at the stress of how big this thing he created became. Chappelle has always seems like a more laid back not seeking fame type cat, who just so happened to have skills that were destined to put him in a not laid back, famous position & those things severely clashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
      you think tv executives came up with clayton bigsby?
      racial draft?
      reparations?
      the ****** family?
      charlie murphy true hollywood stories?

i mean his show was #1 . Chappelle was wearing the championship comedy belt as the #1 comic in the world. Why would tv executives suddenly interject on a critically and commercially successful show?

ive seen, read, and heard that explanation before. it seems like a cop out font excuse.
      They didn't come up with it. Chappelle got thrown a bone and was given a chance to create and star in his own show. It turned out to be a smash hit. The execs from their want you to keep doing the same thing, while at the same time making fun of certain hot button topics to attract certain demographics. Chappelle was just wanting to have complete freedom of expression without feeling the pressure of the higher ups to tow the line. Whether or not there was legitimate pressure for him to take a side in the political spectrum is really anyone's guess. What's clear to me is that Chappelle signing a contract for 10s of millions for a TV show put him over the edge.

Comment

Dave and Neal Brennan wrote the skits on the show, and had an agreement that they wouldn't reveal who wrote what skit. It was never explicitly stated, but I think that Brennan was fine with writing the racially charged sketches that CC wanted, while Dave was wanting to back off. Dave felt everyone was against him and left.

Whether that was the case or not, it's pretty obvious Dave had a meltdown and decided Holywood wasn't for him. If it was a case of just not wanting to do the show, he could have a multi-film deal with any studio he liked. He just doesn't want to do showbiz any more and that's his choice.

Comment

I beleive it had to do with creative control and Chapelle decided he didn't want to be a sell out to the cable executives and that his show wouldn't be fun anymore, regardless of the money. There are some other details to it, but I believe that was the main reason for him to just say the show just wasn't worth it anymore. And he already made a good amount of money by that time.
          Last edited by Willy Wanker; 12-21-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I think Chappelle's show deserves a place in popular culture history. For a good 3-4(?) year stretch HE WAS popular culture. So many of his sayings were used in everyday conversations. He was on top of the world. I think the pressure got to him and he was just like "man **** this I'm out."

Comment

Comment

Sad thing is season 3 had potential to be great the skits he finished was up there with his best work

Comment

I thought I read something about him not being comfortable with all of the race related stuff they kept trying to push on him.

Comment

It probably was a combination of things. The pressure to exceed what he already put out, his realization that behind-the-scenes Hollywood was poison, and probably wanting to be with his family more. The cat has put in some major time in the gym, however, looks like a different man. But the Dave Chappelle of the Chappelle show, is a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
                      They didn't come up with it. Chappelle got thrown a bone and was given a chance to create and star in his own show. It turned out to be a smash hit. The execs from their want you to keep doing the same thing, while at the same time making fun of certain hot button topics to attract certain demographics. Chappelle was just wanting to have complete freedom of expression without feeling the pressure of the higher ups to tow the line. Whether or not there was legitimate pressure for him to take a side in the political spectrum is really anyone's guess. What's clear to me is that Chappelle signing a contract for 10s of millions for a TV show put him over the edge.
                      Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                      It probably was a combination of things. The pressure to exceed what he already put out, his realization that behind-the-scenes Hollywood was poison, and probably wanting to be with his family more. The cat has put in some major time in the gym, however, looks like a different man. But the Dave Chappelle of the Chappelle show, is a thing of the past.

that's his latest stand up.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED REALLY.

Chappelle is still Chappelle. Still talking about race, still talking about hot button issues.

Still fcking funny as hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X