No announcement yet.

Rigondeux video - old but epic!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigondeux video - old but epic!

Old amateur fight but damn I can't stop watching this, the guy is sensational.

Originally posted by dancovboxer View Post
    Old amateur fight but damn I can't stop watching this, the guy is sensational.
    Nice video. Thanks for sharing!

Rigo was an awesome amateur. His opponent may have been out of his league, but it was an impressive performance nonetheless. "El Chacal" has all the tools, and loves to go to the body! I think Guillermo is the most talented of the recent Cuban defectors, although Gamboa has (so far, at least) adapted better to the pro game. It's too bad that they've both turned professional so late in their lives. There's no telling how great they might've been.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Nice video. Thanks for sharing!

Rigo was an awesome amateur. His opponent may have been out of his league, but it was an impressive performance nonetheless. "El Chacal" has all the tools, and loves to go to the body! I think Guillermo is the most talented of the recent Cuban defectors, although Gamboa has (so far, at least) adapted better to the pro game. It's too bad that they've both turned professional so late in their lives. There's no telling how great they might've been.

Yeah he has left it rather late but boy is he tearing up the pro ranks. What he has done in such a short period of time & so few bouts is unheard of. A lot of people are picking Ramos in what is billed as a 50/50 fight possible due to Rigondeux's lack of pro experience but I truly believe he'll make relatively short work of Ramos who is a good fighter in his own right. It will be interesting to see what or how Rigondeux goes about his pro campaign, whether he moves up in weight etc

I just wish he had turned pro a few years earlier, he truly has all the tools of an ATG.

I can't see anybody beating him anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dancovboxer View Post
        Yeah he has left it rather late but boy is he tearing up the pro ranks. What he has done in such a short period of time & so few bouts is unheard of. A lot of people are picking Ramos in what is billed as a 50/50 fight possible due to Rigondeux's lack of pro experience but I truly believe he'll make relatively short work of Ramos who is a good fighter in his own right. It will be interesting to see what or how Rigondeux goes about his pro campaign, whether he moves up in weight etc

I just wish he had turned pro a few years earlier, he truly has all the tools of an ATG.

I can't see anybody beating him anytime soon.
        I think Rigo ought to be a fairly heavy favorite against Ramos. Rico was losing his last fight convincingly when he landed a perfect shot that won the title for him in shocking fashion. How often does that sort of thing happen? I think Ramos is a respectable fighter and obviously can't be taken lightly, but "El Chacal" is on another level.

A future clash with "P4P" Nonito Donaire would test Guillermo's ability to its fullest, I think. To be honest, right now I'd have to lean towards Nonito in that one. Rigondeaux is still learning the pro ropes. Whatever the outcome, it would be a great contest between two worthy opponents. A win for Rigo would signal the arrival of a new force in boxing.

Comment

i downloaded this fight ages ago. it must be the fight i've watched more times than any other, beautiful boxing.
          that bit at 1:47 where he's skipping round the edge of the ring and switches stances to land a shot is amazing.

Comment

Beautiful boxing but it's amazing how different the pro game is from the amateur one is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              Beautiful boxing but it's amazing how different the pro game is from the amateur one is.
              what do you mean? Because that boxing skills will win in any league...

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post
                what do you mean? Because that boxing skills will win in any league...
                In the amateurs the barely need to make contact to score a point, so they are not taught to put power behind the punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gay for Boootay View Post
                  In the amateurs the barely need to make contact to score a point, so they are not taught to put power behind the punch.
                  While it's true that amateur fighters are primarily concerned with scoring points, it's untrue that they aren't taught to put power behind their punches. In the video, it's plain to see that Rigondeaux puts plenty of power behind his punches. One of the announcers even calls Rigo's body shots "thundering."

Comment

Very impressive, I just dont like the way amateur boxing is unfortunately. Point system needs to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X