No announcement yet.

Best knockout of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by el*** View Post
    hearns - duran, it was hard to really evaluate much because hearns just blitzed him. Duran was still hurt in the opening of the second from the punches landed at the end of the first. Duran never got started, he looked like he was still warming up and hearns comes out the gate in top gear.

But even in all of that aggression, when he had duran hurt, he didnt smother himself with ineffective wild shots, he kept the right distance allowing him to load up and setup that perfect right hand with the feints to the body and duran was so dazed he fell for the faints and dropped his guard. Duran fought until his late 40s and nobody else ever hurt him like that.

Hearns did that in the hagler fight too and in SRL I, inbetween one of the opening rounds SRL tells his corner a bit surprised "hes trying to knock me out", surprised that hearns is going all out and taking that risk from the opening bell.

I think hearns said he was watching kung fu movies to get himself amped up before the hagler fight
    Actually, I think Duran fought until he was 50. It seems like that's how long Roy Jones is going to wait as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Actually, I think Duran fought until he was 50. It seems like that's how long Roy Jones is going to wait as well.
      Except Roy is much worse cause he doesn't have the savvy and toughness of Duran. Roy is getting knocked out by guys who don't belong in the ring with him. Even as a 160/168/175 pounder Duran hardly ever got stunned, let alone knocked out like Jones does in his best weight class. Really sad. I hate watching Jones fight now.

Comment

Youre right it was over 50!

Hes the only guy that I can think of that fought pro in 5 different decades.

60s through 2000's.

Theres a pretty lot that did 4 decades. foreman was close to getting 5, had he made his second comeback that his wife talked him out of he would have had 5.

Comment

60s through 2000's.

Theres a pretty lot that did 4 decades. foreman was close to getting 5, had he made his second comeback that his wife talked him out of he would have had 5.
          So when was Foreman going to come back?

Comment

60s through 2000's.

I believe jack johnson fought in 5 decades as well. As far as Duran he did get also get stopped by joppy for the middle weight title when he was about 47 although not getting demolished as he was by thomas.

Comment

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams 2.
              The writig was on the wall with that one just didnt think it would be that soon or that devastating

Comment

60s through 2000's.

Speaking of which, I read that Larry Holmes was 52 when he had his last pro fight...against BUTTERBEAN lol. It was one of the few times Eric "Butterbean" Esch fought more than a 4 round fight. The guy could bang, but he was kind of a joke and goofball and knew it, he even tried his hand at kickboxing and MMA, I believe, with little success. Anyway, it was a 10 round unanimous decision win for Holmes. Larry also fought a rematch with Bonecrusher Smith for some kind of title belt they created for older fighters. If so many of these guys hang around for so long, they should just start some kind of seniors circuit, like they do with golf and just let the over 40 guys beat the hell out of each other. At least then, it's a little more even.

What the hell's a Butterbean anyway, gotta look that up.

Okay found it, it's another name for a lima bean or runner bean.
                Last edited by Anthony342; 10-13-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Speaking of which, I read that Larry Holmes was 52 when he had his last pro fight...against BUTTERBEAN lol. It was one of the few times Eric "Butterbean" Esch fought more than a 4 round fight. The guy could bang, but he was kind of a joke and goofball and knew it, he even tried his hand at kickboxing and MMA, I believe, with little success. Anyway, it was a 10 round unanimous decision win for Holmes. Larry also fought a rematch with Bonecrusher Smith for some kind of title belt they created for older fighters. If so many of these guys hang around for so long, they should just start some kind of seniors circuit, like they do with golf and just let the over 40 guys beat the hell out of each other. At least then, it's a little more even.

What the hell's a Butterbean anyway, gotta look that up.

Okay found it, it's another name for a lima bean or runner bean.
                  It would be cool to have a senior circuit in boxing.. Maybe even a kiddie one..

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                    So when was Foreman going to come back?

If Vitali had beaten Lewis, Foreman wanted that fight. When you watch the HBO broadcast of that you can tell that George is rooting for Klitschko.

Comment

Nas v Augie Sanchez was brutal.

Comment

Working...
                      X