No announcement yet.

WBA order 4 Man Tourney to replace Clay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBA order 4 Man Tourney to replace Clay

'The World Boxing Association told its four top-rated heavyweight contenders today to get ready to fight for the 'vacant world championship', stripped from Cassius Clay.

President Merv L McKenzie of the WBA sent the 'get ready' telegrams to Ernie Terrell of Chicago, Cleveland Williams of Houston, ex-champion Floyd Patterson of Scarsdale, N.Y and Doug Jones of New York.

The Clay-Liston return title fight was banned by the WBA convention because Clay had signed what was tantamount to a forbidden return bout contract in case of victory before his first fight with Liston at Miami Beach, Feb 25.'

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ociation&hl=en

Oh man, I thought this was gonna be one of those satirical posts. Same thing happened to me with the Panama Lewis and Texas article

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreamer View Post
      Oh man, I thought this was gonna be one of those satirical posts. Same thing happened to me with the Panama Lewis and Texas article
      lol

Wonder what the WBA's position on rematches written into the contract is today?

Comment

Originally posted by starjammer View Post
        President Merv L McKenzie of the WBA sent the 'get ready' telegrams to Ernie Terrell of Chicago, Cleveland Williams of Houston, ex-champion Floyd Patterson of Scarsdale, N.Y and Doug Jones of New York.
        the great thing is ali beat all these guys within 3years....like to see anybody do that today...

Comment

Originally posted by carlos slim View Post
          the great thing is ali beat all these guys within 3years....like to see anybody do that today...
          Great point

Comment

Working...
          X