Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Ortiz cherry picking a 34 year old man with a 16 month layoff?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    Have you ever actually heard anyone use the word in that way?

It is always associated with violence, now it can be used in that way because committing a violent act is not moral but really violence has nothing to do with it.

One of my many pet peeves with the usage of the English language
    Not even once. The mischievous side of me wants to use it in a paper that I write for a class in the fall semester, specifically for the opportunity to tell the professor to suck it and make them increase my grade (even if the misspelling was not part of the formula that lowered the grade in the first place). Pretty brilliant, eh?

Anyway, are there any other words in the English language that are used incorrectly nearly 100% of the time? This topic interests me a lot, and since this thread wasn't meant to actually promote discussion, I don't feel too badly about highjacking it.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
      Not even once. The mischievous side of me wants to use it in a paper that I write for a class in the fall semester, specifically for the opportunity to tell the professor to suck it and make them increase my grade (even if the misspelling was not part of the formula that lowered the grade in the first place). Pretty brilliant, eh?

Anyway, are there any other words in the English language that are used incorrectly nearly 100% of the time? This topic interests me a lot, and since this thread wasn't meant to actually promote discussion, I don't feel too badly about highjacking it.
      Redundant people mess up a lot and of course irony~

I will think about it as I am going to bed, an English person would be good to ask though because they always complain about our usage of the english language~
      Last edited by The Gambler1981; 06-09-2011, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I can't see how Ortiz is "cherry-picking" anything here. Sure Floyd's older, and coming off a long layoff, but if you know anything about Floyd, you know, come fight fight, he's gonna' be the toughest opponent Ortiz has faced in his career, by a WIDE MARGIN.

My hat's off to Ortiz for taking such a tough fight at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          Redundant people mess up a lot and of course irony~

I will think about it as I am going to bed, an English person would be good to ask though because they always complain about our usage of the english language~
          I always thought that redundant was a synonym for repetitive, but since you listed it, and that is the way everyone uses it, that's obviously not correct. If you happen to drop by this thread and wouldn't mind explaining that one as well, I'd be appreciative.

And yes, irony is misused more often than it is used correctly probably, and there really is no excuse, as it is common knowledge that it is misused a lot. I wonder how much Alanis Morrissette had to do with the trend to call things that are devoid of irony "ironic."

Also, it's a rarity anymore that I come to BoxingScene and find myself treated to good conversation like I used to when I joined in 2007 when things were better (or maybe I just thought they were better because I was an ignorant n00b, and would likely be classified as a reasonable ***** by the current member's of the board). Even more rare is finding myself engaged in good conversation that is about something other than boxing. I really do want to thank you for this little discussion about the incorrect deployment of words in the English language. I enjoyed it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
            I really do want to thank you for this little discussion about the incorrect deployment of words in the English language. I enjoyed it a lot.
            Eye see what you did there.

Comment

Working...
            X