Nonito Donaire will never be a huge draw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nonito Donaire will never be a huge draw

Does anyone else agree?

He had a chance to be a draw after the Montiel KO but he failed to live up to expectations with lack luster performances against guys who were either running away, or covering up and jabbing very defensive. I think Arum should have just built him up with some Latino bombers, guys who will just bang with him so it would build hype, sorta like with how they built up Mike Tyson with tomato cans.

Right now Nonito will never be a huge draw like Pacquiao, his last fight they had it in a heavily filipino populated area and he barely sold any tickets in a small outdoor stadium, I heard he sold only 1 thousand tickets.

Also I remember ?Nonito has a backlash by Filipinos becuae he said his dad was taking money from him and hated his wife, for some reason the Filipinos thought that was disrespectful and hated him.

Also he isnt filipino enough for whatever that means, he is already 30 years old I think, Pacquiao was 24 years old when he became a star, Nonito will not be at Pacquiao's level of stardom.

Maybe because he fights below featherweight? Who knows, but the guy just doesn't seem to be popular with his own people or the casual boxing fan.

I think that kid Mercito Gesta has a chance if he gets a good trainer and beats a good champion to be a draw with Filipinos, But Nonito doesn't.

this is a well known fact chief

Comment

people will not be impressed with him beating on midgets and smaller guys he should've moved up to LW by now

Comment

True........ He just doesn't have the appeal like pacquiao plus he basically disowned his family which turned a lot of Filipinos off

Comment

He always likes to shoot himself in the foot. Any momentum he had during Darchinyan and Montiel was stalled due to promoter problems. After Darchinyan, he booted for Arum and then after Montiel, he tried to go to GBP.

Comment

I've always thought this guy has been overrated, and don't know why Max Kellerman has always been riding his nuts or refers to him as a "star". The guy isn't a star, not even the Filipinos get behind this dude, in fairness it's hard to be a big draw in the smaller weights Donaire chose to fight at most of his career. Plus, I really felt that Top Rank dropped the ball not having Donaire fight on Pacquiao undercards, that could have been huge for him.

Comment

nah he'll never be a huge star but he will have my respect as long as he continues to fight the best. ive always been very critical of him, but i cant criticize his fight with nishioka. and once again hes in a very hot division, it will be interesting to see what he does with this.

Comment

I'm suprised donaire isnt a big star yet.Maybe cause hes in the
                lower weight divisons.

Comment

Yup, he stalled his own growth. He was very inactive after the Darchniyan KO, and he blamed Gary Shaw, but even after he left Shaw, he found someone new to blame like his father, he didn't do much after getting with Arum, and his fued with Arum was stupid. Nonito is not a draw, plus what ive read from filipino boxing fans they cant stand him and think he is arrogant.

Its embarrassing that he couldn't even sell out a small stadium in a area that has over 100 thousand Filipinos, if that was a 24 year old featherweight Pacquiao that stadium would have sold out fast.

Nonito is 30 years old, and he cant sell any tickets. I think he thinks of himself too highly, dude is gassed up. I also heard Arum pays him 1 million a fight now, that was the new contract deal that Nonito would get paid no less than a million not sure how true that is, but if it is Nonito is grossly overpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    I've always thought this guy has been overrated, and don't know why Max Kellerman has always been riding his nuts or refers to him as a "star". The guy isn't a star, not even the Filipinos get behind this dude, in fairness it's hard to be a big draw in the smaller weights Donaire chose to fight at most of his career. Plus, I really felt that Top Rank dropped the ball not having Donaire fight on Pacquiao undercards, that could have been huge for him.
                    You left out Roy Jones Jr. dude said Nonito was at least top 3 pound 4 pound and keeps praising him. Nonito is the only fighter that Roy Jones cheerleads, and Roy never cheerleads for any fighter.

Pacquiao didnt want nonito on his undercard lol, I heard Pacman doesnt like him or at least thats what Koncz said. Also Pacquiao pretends to support Nonito but some guy said he talked to Manny and Manny told him that Rigondeux would beat him.

This was when Rigo was training with Manny.

Comment

Working...
                    X