No announcement yet.

Comparing Heavyweights across era's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Heavyweights across era's

This is my first post in the history section, thought i might get some better answers here than elsewhere...

I was reading the other day that the average height of humans in developed countries has increased by several inches over the last hundred or so years due to improved nutrition during the formative years.

I was wondering if people take this into account when comparing Heavyweights across different eras, so someone like Joe Louis who wiki says is 6"2 could today have been as big as say 6"3 or 6"4? Then Jack Johnson (even earlier obviously) could have reached 6"3 or 6"4 also.

It is always brought up that old heavys wouldnt stand a chance today because of the size difference but i dont feel that is fair. Especially with modern training methods where you can put more muscle and still be as effective, someone like Joe Louis would have been a beast in the ring if he was brought up in modern period.

This is mainly for head to head comparisons obviously.

Sure, but while height is very useful, it's not the end all be all. Look at Tyson and Frazier. Just because David Haye is like two inches taller means he can whip Joe Louis?

Your premise makes sense. They would naturally be taller and they might have added some muscle.

Comment

I often thought about this too, one fighter who I'm convinced would have been even more dominant with today's training/nutritions styles is George Foreman.

Not the over weight fat version of the 90's, but the young 70's version. The mid 40's guy was never gonna be in shape and was far too old to take advantage of modern day boxing.

But if you had a young Foreman today.. He would have been stronger and more powerful.his style really don't rely on speed .. he will literally bull dooze his way through the entire division.

Comment

That premise makes no sense unless you take away every advantage they had back then (fight schedule, supposedly better schooling, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
          That premise makes no sense unless you take away every advantage they had back then (fight schedule, supposedly better schooling, etc.).
          Why though? Im only talking about the way some people bring size as a reason that the Klitschkos or Lewis would beat a lot of the time greats, but if the were alive in the same era there would only be few inches difference.

Basically i think that fighters when being compared H2H should be judged on their size relative to their time, so if 6"3 made you massive back in the day and today 6"6 does, I wouldnt give the 6"6 guy an advantage because of his size, it would make them about even.

And to BigStereotype, i dont mean to say that size is the only factor, just that its tricky to compare across eras when people today are able to reach their full growth potential due to better nutrition during formative years.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            Why though? Im only talking about the way some people bring size as a reason that the Klitschkos or Lewis would beat a lot of the time greats, but if the were alive in the same era there would only be few inches difference.

Basically i think that fighters when being compared H2H should be judged on their size relative to their time, so if 6"3 made you massive back in the day and today 6"6 does, I wouldnt give the 6"6 guy an advantage because of his size, it would make them about even.

And to BigStereotype, i dont mean to say that size is the only factor, just that its tricky to compare across eras when people today are able to reach their full growth potential due to better nutrition during formative years.
            Off Topic, but k2, Lewis and to a extent Bowe are glitches in the system rather than the norm.

Think about this:
            Since 1985 there have been literally dozens and dozens of 6'5+ 230+ super heavys in the sport of boxing..that have fought in the top 50 at one time or another.

All this time and only four super heavys have shown ATG Skills. K2,Bowe and Lewis. Every other super heavy have either flopped, or at best made a 'good' career.

The 90's had just as many tall fighters as the 2000's, if super heavys were really the way to go the take over would have happened already.

Grant-Tucker-Henry A****nde-Mccline- all would have dominated.

Even now... Wilder-Price-Fury.. do you see a 'ATG' talent among them? Maybe Price and Fury will go on to become 'champions', but any ATG abilities would have been spotted from the start.

And yes of course older boxers today will be bigger, but I think it will only benefit certain types. Like a Louis and a Foreman would have been much more effected by say an Ali..

Comment

Working...
            X