Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many heavyweights today are actually heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many heavyweights today are actually heavyweights?

besides the K bros and Wilder,

are they all fat cruisers? these guys are 250 on average, and when they are in shape they get down to 230, but even then they look 50 lbs overweight.

Then you have a guy like Haye whos actually on the stronger side of the HW division, 210 lbs and built in the gym, not a large heavyweight by any means going by his frame size, any big man would put him away if they actually connected right.

Stivern is 6'2, 235, most of that weight looks like a combination of mcdonalds and lifting weights, if this guy trained down I could see him being a cruiser, theres no way he's bigger and stronger than a 208 lb Holyfield.

Well the HW division has always paid better than crusier so its common for guys to not be bothered cutting past 200 and fight instead as HWs. Like you said the K bros, Wilder, Fury, you gotta be a pretty big guy to not be able to get down to 200, a good amount of Hws could fight at crusier.

Comment

Middleweights of today would be heavyweights prior to camp. It's all about how much weight you cut. If by what you mean is how many heavyweights are there that COULDN'T get down to the cruiserweight limit then there would be a few and they would be those ultra heavies like Fury, Price, Dimitrenko, Ustinov, Wach, Stiverne etc. Wlad couldn't get down to the cruiserweight limit now but I think in his early twenties he could have or at least gotten very close.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
        Well the HW division has always paid better than crusier so its common for guys to not be bothered cutting past 200 and fight instead as HWs. Like you said the K bros, Wilder, Fury, you gotta be a pretty big guy to not be able to get down to 200, a good amount of Hws could fight at crusier.
        Wilder I think could get down to the cruiserweight limit if he REALLY wanted to.

Comment

Middle weights of today are not heavyweights. Not even close. Smw of today may have been lhws or mws, usually depends on the height. If you lift weights and eat like a pig obviously you won't make mw.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
            Wilder I think could get down to the cruiserweight limit if he REALLY wanted to.
            Yeah but i dont know how healthy that would be, pretty lean at 220 so he'd be basically dropping 20lbs of water weight.

Comment

If you look at medical science most of the heavies today, if they did roadwork and trained for fifteen rounds would indeed make cruiser. Actually most heavyweights would be categoried as obese!! I am not agreeing with this I tend to think the medical science is twisted..but to train to go fifteen rounds, the heavies of today would not make it. The level of activity would blow many of them away especially in the later rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
                Middleweights of today would be heavyweights prior to camp. It's all about how much weight you cut. If by what you mean is how many heavyweights are there that COULDN'T get down to the cruiserweight limit then there would be a few and they would be those ultra heavies like Fury, Price, Dimitrenko, Ustinov, Wach, Stiverne etc. Wlad couldn't get down to the cruiserweight limit now but I think in his early twenties he could have or at least gotten very close.
                Your logic is sound. For one thing fighters today do not do roadwork like they once did. Its kind of crazy, when I work with guys in the martial arts I see so many balance and newfangled type routines that are great....But for some reason a heavyweight at a certain weight does not seem able to have the sustained activity that smaller more cut fighters had in the day. There are excptions....Toney always had great punch output and threw at least as many if not more than Rahman during their fight. Forget about fifteen rounds in today's square circle.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                  Middle weights of today are not heavyweights. Not even close. Smw of today may have been lhws or mws, usually depends on the height. If you lift weights and eat like a pig obviously you won't make mw.
                  It's quite easy for a middleweight to be 40 pounds above their fight weight when they're not training for a fight. For 1 they would easily hydrate 10-20 pounds after the weight in. That would make them a cruiser already. Add in the crap they would eat out of camp and there's your other 20 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                    Yeah but i dont know how healthy that would be, pretty lean at 220 so he'd be basically dropping 20lbs of water weight.
                    If he put in the effort I'm sure he could do it safely. I mean he was a full grown man and was fighting in the -91 kg category in the amateurs.

Comment

Working...
                    X