• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on moving down in weight?

Aye, this' my first post on here,

I'm an amateur boxer
    5'9
    Currently 149lbs
    I don't have a specific weight goal, but about 135 would be good.
    Here goes: I'm tryna lose as much upper body fat as possible, (why upper? cause I don't want to lose my power, anybody that knows boxing knows power is mostly from your thighs) I have a sort of Marcos Maidana-ish body type if that's any help. I think I have too much unnecessary fat on my upper body. Well I don't know what else to say but I need some tips/pointers on doing this (diet, exercise, etc) and some specific exercises for my upper body, I DONT want to gain muscle, I understand you always gain some but my main goal right now is losing upper body fat. Hope this made sense I'm tired rn can't think st8.

P.S.: I currently train about 4-5 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. High-intemsity. Dunno if that helps.
    Last edited by RGF; 04-03-2014, 08:12 PM. Reason: I forgot to add something.

You're absolutely correct, Thomas Hearns and all of those Kronk guys had some very thick legs, that's where their power came from. Big thick legs.

And you only train 4-5 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week? You do know that any opponent that you will ever face is doing more and probably is training as we speak. We train 8-9 hours a day 12 days a week.

.......... Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 04-03-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

One day a week for a light run and light exercise will do your muscles good! When you work out as much as you do you should have a mid-week half nite session then at the end of the week a day as I mentioned. Youyr muscle are using oxygen at a high rate and your over using them as a training athlete so rest is essential for their progress.
      As for upper body weight loss without seeing your condition and body type its difficult to suggest methods.
      a simple and most used method is to acquire a plastic or rubber top and put a hooded sweat shirt over it for jump rope. Clock three minute rounds with a one minute rest and use chewing gum and spit during your break time. You can use water as a rinse but NO drinking at all. Try going 3 rounds then build up to 5 rds. You do NOT want to use this method for long and you need to rehydrate very slowly after your work out. If you down a juice 30 minutes after your session your wasting time. Use the rubber top for your exercise sessions too. If your strapped for money a garbage bag will work after you trim it up for your arms and neck/head.
      Working in plastic or rubber can be a dangerous endeavor if its over done. Dehydrating to quickly will get you sick quickly so take your time and a slow one pound a week is plenty of success. Once you take off 4 pounds gage how difficult it is to maintain that loss. If it gets difficult then your goal to loose needs to be reconsidered. As an amateur if your 5'9" you can fight at 139 lightwelter or 47 welter as long as your comfortable and maintain your strength that's all you need to concentrate on.
      More time on techniques and putting together combinations should be first in your mind. Good luck "how you train is who you are"! Ray Corso

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        You're absolutely correct, Thomas Hearns and all of those Kronk guys had some very thick legs, that's where their power came from. Big thick legs.

And you only train 4-5 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week? You do know that any opponent that you will ever face is doing more and probably is training as we speak. We train 8-9 hours a day 12 days a week.

.......... Rockin'
        Yeah I'm currently in a F'ed up situation, wish I could train more, I'm moving out to Vegas in August, ima never leave the gym trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          One day a week for a light run and light exercise will do your muscles good! When you work out as much as you do you should have a mid-week half nite session then at the end of the week a day as I mentioned. Youyr muscle are using oxygen at a high rate and your over using them as a training athlete so rest is essential for their progress.
          As for upper body weight loss without seeing your condition and body type its difficult to suggest methods.
          a simple and most used method is to acquire a plastic or rubber top and put a hooded sweat shirt over it for jump rope. Clock three minute rounds with a one minute rest and use chewing gum and spit during your break time. You can use water as a rinse but NO drinking at all. Try going 3 rounds then build up to 5 rds. You do NOT want to use this method for long and you need to rehydrate very slowly after your work out. If you down a juice 30 minutes after your session your wasting time. Use the rubber top for your exercise sessions too. If your strapped for money a garbage bag will work after you trim it up for your arms and neck/head.
          Working in plastic or rubber can be a dangerous endeavor if its over done. Dehydrating to quickly will get you sick quickly so take your time and a slow one pound a week is plenty of success. Once you take off 4 pounds gage how difficult it is to maintain that loss. If it gets difficult then your goal to loose needs to be reconsidered. As an amateur if your 5'9" you can fight at 139 lightwelter or 47 welter as long as your comfortable and maintain your strength that's all you need to concentrate on.
          More time on techniques and putting together combinations should be first in your mind. Good luck "how you train is who you are"! Ray Corso
          Thanks mane great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by RGF View Post
            Yeah I'm currently in a F'ed up situation, wish I could train more, I'm moving out to Vegas in August, ima never leave the gym trust me.

He was being sarcastic my friend. Tommy Hearns has scrawny ass legs. And if your training for an amatuer fight why are you training for 4-5 hours a day.

Im not saying dont train for 8 or 10 rounds but even 4-5 hours is too much for that. Your workout doenst need to be much more than an hour. You go in get your work done and get out.

As far as weight, 149 pounds at 5'9 sounds like a good size for that weight. Maybe cut down to 145 if you really want.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

.......... Rockin'
              ****... what should i do if i can only train 9 days a week???

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
                He was being sarcastic my friend. Tommy Hearns has scrawny ass legs. And if your training for an amatuer fight why are you training for 4-5 hours a day.

Im not saying dont train for 8 or 10 rounds but even 4-5 hours is too much for that. Your workout doenst need to be much more than an hour. You go in get your work done and get out.

As far as weight, 149 pounds at 5'9 sounds like a good size for that weight. Maybe cut down to 145 if you really want.
                aww **** now I feel stupid, thanks for not being a dbag like that dude.

Comment

Originally posted by RGF View Post
                  where are you training now, who's working with you? ............ Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                    ****... what should i do if i can only train 9 days a week???
                    rest. on the 10th day of the week he rests......................... Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X