Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Toney vs Montell Griffin I & II - two robberies ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney vs Montell Griffin I & II - two robberies ?

I recently re-watched the two fights James Toney had with Montell Griffin. As we all know, Griffin got the decision in both fights.
    I scored both fights: I scored the first fight for Toney by 3 points. It was a close fight with a lot of close rounds and I scored 3 rounds as a draw, but overall I felt Toney should have won it.
    The 2nd fight I scored for Toney by (only) one point, and the fight was also razor close and as in the 1st fight, I scored 3 rounds even.
    The crazy thing was that in the rematch one judge scored it 119:109 for Griffin which is completely absolutely disgraceful.
    Griffin is a slick boxer and his speed troubled Toney in both fights. His upperbody movement and slickness gave Toney problems, although sometimes it felt that Griffin's punches were not as hard as Toney's.
    In the first fight, Toney was leaning on the ropes a lot, but he was winning a lot of those rounds because he was clearly outboxing Griffin. Some people who never watched boxing before would think the guy who is leaning on the ropes is losing the fight which is not true of course.

Anyways, I scored both fights for Toney and felt he should have won both, even though I can see a draw in the 2nd fight.
    How did you guys score the 2 fights?
    In case you want to re-watch them, here they are:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vvp79hZlQE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ipzcwzthk
    Last edited by raskat; 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM.

I felt 2 was a robbery. 1 was a lot closer.

Comment

I scored both fights for Toney, but neither one was a robbery.

Comment

I still haven't seen the first fight, but thought Toney clearly won the second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          I scored both fights for Toney, but neither one was a robbery.
          well yes, robbery is a strong word. But on the other hand: If Toney should have won both but didn't get the "W" in any of them, there is something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
            I felt 2 was a robbery. 1 was a lot closer.
            That's exactly what I thought.

Comment

I thought both were close and agree that Toney deserved the second bout.

Comment

Toney was quietly beating Griffin on his body...I thought he dominated the first fight. I had it scored by 4-6 pts

Comment

Working...
                X