Edwin Rodriguez on HBO Latino

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Rodriguez on HBO Latino

http://beta.espn.go.com/blog/dan-raf...-for-rodriguez

LOL... I couldn't understand how the heck Rodriguez was able to get such an easy opponent on the Golovkin undercard. Looks like HBO found a clause where they could honor the contract but not give the Haymon fighter a shared platform with one their biggest growing stars.

lmaoooo

HBO with the middle finger to Haymon & Rodriguez.

Comment

Link is gone

Comment

The Article:

But back to Rodriguez. As part of the deal Rodriguez got from HBO to fight Ward (for around $1 million!) he was given a contractually obligated comeback fight by HBO even if he lost. Now it's time for HBO to pay the piper.

Rodriguez, now fighting at light heavyweight, will appear on the Gennady Golovkin-Marco Antonio Rubio undercard on Oct. 18 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California. The fight, however, will not be part of HBO's "World Championship Boxing" telecast. Instead, it will air on HBO Latino, HBO's Spanish-language channel.

Rodriguez (24-1, 16 KOs), 29, of the Dominican Republic, who grew up in Worcester, Massachusetts, will face Azea Augustama (17-1, 9 KOs), 31, a native of Haiti based in South Florida. The one time Augustama faced a remotely notable opponent he lost an eight-round decision to Denis Grachev in 2011.

"This is his contract comeback fight. HBO wanted to put it on HBO Latino and we were OK with that," said Lou DiBella, Rodriguez's promoter. "Edwin is fighting at 175 now and we didn't want to fight a stooge. We wanted a solid guy to see where he is and to assess it pretty quickly. Augustama is a guy we can do that with. I don't think this is a walk-in-the-park kind of fight."

Comment

i hate when they do this sh-it. they did it with sergio-dzinziruk as well. they guaranteed dzinziruk another fight on hbo just to fight sergio except no one wanted that crappy fight in the first place. no one wants rodriguez's crappy ass in their sight. they should have offered him the million(actually a lot less) and that's it. if he doensn't take it too bad.

Comment

Thanks for not wasting money and televised slot on him

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              i hate when they do this sh-it. they did it with sergio-dzinziruk as well. they guaranteed dzinziruk another fight on hbo just to fight sergio except no one wanted that crappy fight in the first place. no one wants rodriguez's crappy ass in their sight. they should have offered him the million(actually a lot less) and that's it. if he doensn't take it too bad.
              They did it with Matthew Macklin as well. It's another way of making fights when a fighter is reluctant to fight a superior fighter like Golovkin or Ward. The fighter knows they're likely going to take a loss and they don't want to hurt their future. So rather than way overpaying the fighter, HBO makes them earn the extra money with a guaranteed fight down the road. I just wish they were better at setting up some meaningful rebound fights. So far everytime they've been meaningless fights. Matthew-Russ, Dzinzurik-Gonzalez, and now Rodriguez-Assplant.

Comment

Ricky Ricardo is fighting TBA in the main event..stay tuned

Comment

Andre Dirrell vs. Edwin Rodriguez coming to Showtime in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                  X