No announcement yet.

Conventional or Southpaw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conventional or Southpaw

I am 27 and I have been a serious boxing fan or 15 yrs, but I was always encouarged to play footbal and run track, but I love to hit people and I belive that I possess great power in my right hand and good power in my left. I want to train and box just to become a better fighter, get in shape and work some frustration off, but I don't know which style I should use. I am right handed and can throw all the basic punches with both hands, but my foot work and defensive movement feels so much easier and natural from the southpaw stance...What do some of you with ring experience suggest?

Originally posted by babylon_killah
    I am 27 and I have been a serious boxing fan or 15 yrs, but I was always encouarged to play footbal and run track, but I love to hit people and I belive that I possess great power in my right hand and good power in my left. I want to train and box just to become a better fighter, get in shape and work some frustration off, but I don't know which style I should use. I am right handed and can throw all the basic punches with both hands, but my foot work and defensive movement feels so much easier and natural from the southpaw stance...What do some of you with ring experience suggest?
    There are a lot of southpaws and it is disproportional to the amount of lefthanders overall. A lot of them have above average lead jabs and hooks, but lack power in their left cross.

Comment

Train in both stances. Y not? Then u can switch during sparring and confuse the **** outta ur opponent.

Comment

Yeah...I'm trying to further gain power in my left cross...I too am a right handed south-paw simply because I don't know how to move as a righty...Even though my left hand isn't my power hand I got a mean rear hook...but like I said I would like to further develop my left cross.

Comment

Originally posted by babylon_killah
          Have you had any formal boxing training at all? I'll have to assume no, if that's the case I say stick with the conventional stance, focus on the important aspects of training first and as you progress in your training ask your coach that you would like to try out some " new " things and work from there. My point is learn the trade first before you get into any of the 'cutesy' stuff. I hear where you are coming from though as far as feeling more natural w/ your "weak" side compared to your natural stance, I was like that when I first started. As I evolved as an amateur my trainer actually introduced me to some of the fancy stuff as well as the little dirty tactics (lol). I read on one of the posts about throwing off an opponent by switching stances, it does work, but if your competing in a novice level, it really doesn't matter, if your switching from left to right in a bout, 'cause your opponent recognizes it as the same thing and will just go on about his business of throwing wild punches(lol).
          Last edited by rsl; 09-24-2004, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rsl
            Have you had any formal boxing training at all? I'll have to assume no, if that's the case I say stick with the conventional stance, focus on the important aspects of training first and as you progress in your training ask your coach that you would like to try out some " new " things and work from there. My point is learn the trade first before you get into any of the 'cutesy' stuff. I hear where you are coming from though as far as feeling more natural w/ your "weak" side compared to your natural stance, I was like that when I first started. As I evolved as an amateur my trainer actually introduced me to some of the fancy stuff as well as the little dirty tactics (lol). I read on one of the posts about throwing off an opponent by switching stances, it does work, but if your competing in a novice level, it really doesn't matter, if your switching from left to right in a bout, 'cause your opponent recognizes it as the same thing and will just go on about his business of throwing wild punches(lol).
            No I don't have any formal boxing training. I am trying to getthe basics down so that I don't look stupid when I enter a gym and say that I want to train. I spend a lot of time working the heavy bag, speedbag and double end bag. I am just making sure I am not wasting my time by doing the same amount of work from both sides.

Comment

I have heard that switching isnt the best thing to do just because its like being 2 people. you prob wont have the same style you have when ur Southpaw from when ur orthodox because of your hand power speed for both of them. so you must change your style if you want all of your fighting to be efficient with both styles, my opinion and some others

Comment

Originally posted by patto1984
                Train in both stances. Y not? Then u can switch during sparring and confuse the **** outta ur opponent.
                Yeah, i switch and its a really good tool!!

My coach wont let me switch against some of the lesser fighters because it confuses them too much.

Comment

Originally posted by cms
                  I have heard that switching isnt the best thing to do just because its like being 2 people. you prob wont have the same style you have when ur Southpaw from when ur orthodox because of your hand power speed for both of them. so you must change your style if you want all of your fighting to be efficient with both styles, my opinion and some others
                  I havent had any problems, most of the time i change style when i switch but thats just because i like to confuse the opponent, if i want to i can fight exactly the same in both stances.

Comment

Unless your defense is fundamentally sound from your non-natural stance, a good fighter can easily expose flaws in it.
                    But if you can do the fundamentals from both stances it can be a powerful weapon.
                    I recommend learning fighting from your natural stance and then developing the other stance after you have pretty much mastered the first.

Comment

Working...
                    X