Official: Lara-Rodriguez, Beterbeiv-Johnson PBC Fight Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      One thing I noticed is that when Lara did press, Rodriguez would catch him with something substantial and then Lara would fall back into boxing from range again. He's either worried about a glass jaw or the Cuban "hit and not get hit" style is too deeply ingrained, he's not prepared to take a couple of shots to get his opponent out.
      I noticed this too. Lara has many more pro fights than Rigo, but it seems like Rigo has a killer instinct hidden underneath the "Cuban style", he just doesn't have the offensive tools that other killers have (i.e. cutting off the ring, etc.). I think if he was more active, we would see him gradually become a better offensive fighter. Lara doesn't seem to have the mindset necessary to KO a guy. That, or he just lacks the power to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
        I noticed this too. Lara has many more pro fights than Rigo, but it seems like Rigo has a killer instinct hidden underneath the "Cuban style", he just doesn't have the offensive tools that other killers have (i.e. cutting off the ring, etc.). I think if he was more active, we would see him gradually become a better offensive fighter. Lara doesn't seem to have the mindset necessary to KO a guy. That, or he just lacks the power to do so.
        They both lack the tools and I guess you can call it IQ. All the great finishers break you down to the body. Lara and Rigo get into the habit of head hunting. And they don't mix up their attack.

Both Lara and Rigo have killer instinct. They just don't know how to break down an opponent and finish him. Rigo was staring at Agbeko like " what the hell do I do now?"

Most KOs come from punches you don't see coming. If you don't mix up your attack your opponent will see everything your throwing and just eat your straight lefts for 12 rounds.

Comment

• I think the Angulo fight made Lara gun-shy - he doesn't want to mix it up anymore and when he gets hit he falls back, afraid of hitting the canvas

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP View Post
            They both lack the tools and I guess you can call it IQ. All the great finishers break you down to the body. Lara and Rigo get into the habit of head hunting. And they don't mix up their attack.

Both Lara and Rigo have killer instinct. They just don't know how to break down an opponent and finish him. Rigo was staring at Agbeko like " what the hell do I do now?"

Most KOs come from punches you don't see coming. If you don't mix up your attack your opponent will see everything your throwing and just eat your straight lefts for 12 rounds.
            Oddly enough, what attracted me to Rigo was his lethal straight left to the body. I think Rigo has enough power to break his opponent through brute force, which is why I expected more from him against Agbeko. His punch output is the issue, only outmatched by his inactivity. I wish Rigo was in a position where he could fight more.

Comment

I agree, but if anyone needed a KO fodder opponent it was Lara, just to build some hype and interest. Rodriguez was ultimately too durable for that, and Lara's stock went down.
              no it didn't, the domination was complete and just because you don't ko an opponent doesn't mean you didn't do a great job, actually the corner should have stop the fight, he took a beating for 12 rounds and want it to quit a few times, pride kept him in the fight but if the corner offer it a way out, Im pretty sure he would had take it...

Comment

I agree, but if anyone needed a KO fodder opponent it was Lara, just to build some hype and interest. Rodriguez was ultimately too durable for that, and Lara's stock went down.
                no it didn't, the the domination was complete and just because you don't ko an opponent doesn't mean you didn't do a great job, actually the corner should have stop the fight, he took a beating for 12 rounds and want it to quit a few times, pride kept him in the fight but if the corner offer it

Comment

• My podcast about the fight fellas! Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                  X