No announcement yet.

Golden Boy Promotions Stable After Al Haymon Split

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
    Schaefer should be thrown in jail for double cross dressing Oscar.
    I see what you did there ?

Comment

Originally posted by KillerJones View Post
      Yea, and I don't think the NBC Haymon fights are going to be that great and competitive. I could be wrong. But boxers usually have options. From time to time, they are forced into fights, but the top boxers can duck anyone.

MMA fighters are used like chess pieces which is why it works so well. Take a Haymon fighter like Danny Garcia for example, is he ever going to take another competitive fight in his career? I doubt it. All the Haymon fighters have this attitude.

I have a feeling this whole venture is going to flop. That fighters are going to want to come back to premium cable, where there is far more money for boxers. Most fights are simply not appealing to casuals. I watched an MMA fight once, and it was like 7 fights in total? Every fight but one, ened in a KO within the first round, no a tap out. Boxing sure as **** is not going to provide that. To even stand a chance, Haymon is going to have to put Maidan vs Garcia, type fights on, and that will never happen.

Also what will be interesting is, how are these Haymon fighters going to fight in the near future?

Who knows what haymon has in store. I do know that he has already turned down $50+ mill guaranteed for some of his fighters (Quillen, Thurman, Wilder, Broner, etc)

Heres my theory. He protected his most marketable fighters for his NBC deal. This mean cherrypicking for Garcia, Thurman, LSC, Broner, Adonis PEDerson etc. He lured SHO along the way to overpay his fighters while promising they will make big fights in the future and taking that 15% and using that to buy 20 dates on NBC.

Now its all about ratings and he has to start matching them against one another. He doesn't give a **** about any of them which is why he's prevented them from $170+ million guaranteed

Floyd $120 mill
      Broner $40 mill
      Thurman $6 mill
      Wilder $2 mill
      Quillen $2 mill
      etc

And his fighters have to take whatever fight he says because its in their contract. They have no minimum dates per year and no guaranteed purses either. They can't even sue him cuz in the contract it gives him legal authority. They are basically screwed until the contract runs out which is 7 years if I remember

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
        Who knows what haymon has in store. I do know that he has already turned down $50+ mill guaranteed for some of his fighters (Quillen, Thurman, Wilder, Broner, etc)

Heres my theory. He protected his most marketable fighters for his NBC deal. This mean cherrypicking for Garcia, Thurman, LSC, Broner, Adonis PEDerson etc. He lured SHO along the way to overpay his fighters while promising they will make big fights in the future and taking that 15% and using that to buy 20 dates on NBC.

Now its all about ratings and he has to start matching them against one another. He doesn't give a **** about any of them which is why he's prevented them from $170+ million guaranteed

Floyd $120 mill
        Broner $40 mill
        Thurman $6 mill
        Wilder $2 mill
        Quillen $2 mill
        etc

And his fighters have to take whatever fight he says because its in their contract. They have no minimum dates per year and no guaranteed purses either. They can't even sue him cuz in the contract it gives him legal authority. They are basically screwed until the contract runs out which is 7 years if I remember

Good post , pretty much agree with your theory

Comment

Espinoza doesn't have a choice. Haymon is focusing on NBC. Top Rank is loyal to HBO. But we will see.

Those guys that you named were sabotaging GBP from the inside. Its gonna take some time to replace them but it had to be done and they will be better off. Fans tune in to see the fighters not the C-Level execs

The question I have is who does GBP have to scout young talent? Top Rank is the best at finding and building superstars. GBP has only made one fighter a legit superstar and that was Canelo and even he hasn't done huge PPV numbers yet.

And good point you bought up about the deal UFC got with Fox. That is what Haymon is after. I doubt it'll be the 7 year $700 million cuz UFC has a monoploy on MMA in the US while boxing is a Oligarchy
          NBC/broadcast TV may be the longterm goal, but there isn't the money presently there to make that the focus now; 20 of the rumored 24 shows are basically going to be FS1/FNF/ShoBox-level shows.

for the next couple years, Showtime/CBS is just fine.

With the move Oscar made, outside of Canelo, Golden Boy no longer has any fighters for the fans to tune in for, unless he really things that folks tune in to see his smile.

Comment

Floyd $120 mill
            Broner $40 mill (five years)
            Thurman $6 mill
            Wilder $2 mill
            Quillen $2 mill
            etc

He didn't buy 20 NBC dates; according to the rumors, the deal is for 4 dates on NBC and 20 dates on NBC Sports.

Beyond that, the "money that he prevented then from getting" obscures reality a ton. Haymon does everything in his power to keep his fighter's careers in their own hands.

If Wilder beats Stiverne, which isn't unlikely, he easily makes more than that $2m. If Broner keeps winning, his young enough and charismatic enough to comfortably make the money that was offered, and more if he really becomes a superstar. The same can be said for Thurman, Quillin, and others, especially with Showtime willing to air the fights.

A riskier way to do business, but being free to control your own destiny, for the most part, comes with risk

Comment

Working...
            X