Why cant they quit ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant they quit ?

Ive never got this!

Im not a *****, im born English raised Aussie.

We play the most unforgiving game in the world here.

But sometimes you just know.

When JCC quit against De La Hoya, he said " I just didnt feel right, I felt death"

These guys, risk their lives for our entertainment yet we seem to think we have the right to question thier courage from our couches.

Now i'ved played Aussie rules.

What have you done to earn your stripes?

You would all quit faced with this every week ??

No ?

then this

Why dont you quit ?
    Last edited by Furn; 11-08-2013, 07:40 AM.

Comment

It's a tough one because there's different ways you can quit.

Alvarado against provodnikov, no shame in that.

But When that Cuban fought Rickey burns a fight ago he just gave up. Didn't want to try to win.

I think that's unfair on the spectators who part with there money to see competition in sport.

Overall I guess there's quitting because you can't win, and quitting because you don't want to win and it's important to chastise one but not the other.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyIV View Post
        But When that Cuban fought Rickey burns a fight ago he just gave up. Didn't want to try to win.
        He was Puerto Rican, I think he had a fractured wrist. He carried on for a bit but clearly didn't feel right fighting one-handed.

Burns on the other hand continued v Beltran and may now have suffered permanent nerve damage.

I think boxing fans need to drop the whole 'quitter' thing, lives are on the line.

Comment

Yeah, but youre asking an athlete to make a medical decision on their life arent you ?

Nicky Lauda quit.

He was world champion 6 years later and owned 2 airlines.

JCC v De La Hoya 2

JCC told his corner "it just feels wrong, I feel death in the air"

I just dont see how any of you here can judge anyones courage when you havent even sen never mind, played the worlds most courageous game ??

Comment

One of the biggest problems with the fans, but we can't help it.

Its a combat sport for a reason, does anyone know how often if its ever happened if UFC fighters have gone thru broken jaws etc?

Although I do agree, as fans watching we have no room to judge.. its just our egos coming out depending if we either like/dislike that fighter.

Comment

boxing is one of the only sports where getting injured / being unable to continue means you lose.

it's looked down upon becuase of the value of continueing that is exclusive to this sport.

i don't have issues with somebody quitting to save his health, but in boxing you surrender to defeat.

there are plenty of things more important than finishing a boxing match, like being able to walk and talk.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                boxing is one of the only sports where getting injured / being unable to continue means you lose.

it's looked down upon becuase of the value of continueing that is exclusive to this sport.

i don't have issues with somebody quitting to save his health, but in boxing you surrender to defeat.

there are plenty of things more important than finishing a boxing match, like being able to walk and talk.
                Not really, look at tennis. Novac wasa known quitter but 3 Aus opens later no one cared.

World no1 and all round hero.

Yet he quit because it was a bit too hot.

The 2 mainb sports we play here are Aussie rules and cricket and quitting and more importantly being a wuss isnt excepted at any stage at any level, but ots rarely if ever actually a life or death situation.

Just seems strange that you can wear pads playing football and be scared of a baseball yet youre expected to die in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                  Not really, look at tennis. Novac wasa known quitter but 3 Aus opens later no one cared.

World no1 and all round hero.

Yet he quit because it was a bit too hot.

The 2 mainb sports we play here are Aussie rules and cricket and quitting and more importantly being a wuss isnt excepted at any stage at any level, but ots rarely if ever actually a life or death situation.

Just seems strange that you can wear pads playing football and be scared of a baseball yet youre expected to die in the ring.
                  Its because we cling on to the past.

Ask Ali and Fraizer what its like when its too hot, they can tell you. Whoever Novac is (sorry I don't know who he is) was playing tennis.

Ali and Fraizer were heavyweight men fighting in the Philippines.

Comment

because once you quit ppl will forever tag you as the guy that can't overcome adversity.

look at ortiz he had a chance to beat maidana he was in that fight knocked him down just like he got knocked down quitting in that fight and his comments afterwards were shameful.

him deciding to quit against lopez was different and i have no problem with that but quiting against maidana was shameful.

Comment

Working...
                    X