Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn: "I wish I had Calzaghe's power"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matter if you scored the fight for Calzaghe or Hopkins, we can all agree that it was a pretty close fight.

When most competitive fighters end with a result like that, they agree to a rematch in order to settle the score once and for all.

There should've been a rematch, and neither can claim he's the better man until that rematch happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
      boxing's scored by rounds.

i liked both guys at the time. Joe was the younger man with more to prove, so i wanted him to win back then, and to do so clearly. in hindsight, though, i wish Hopkins had maintained his workrate through the fight so he could've continued to dish out the technical lesson he was giving Calzaghe. but he didn't, he faded, his punching regularity decreased, and he allowed the windmill to outwork him for a narrow, aesthetically revolting win. it is what it is. Hopkins' age didn't show up against most fighters even while past 40, but it showed up against Calzaghe because the guy possessed stamina that was uncommon even among top level boxers. we know, based on the fight they did have, that a younger Hopkins very likely defeats Calzaghe handily.
      here you go back to the outworking nonsense. hopkins clearly outlanded calzaghe in most of the rounds so my point stands. if one team shoots 50 times and scores once and one team shoots 20 and scores 5 who wins? you are saying the one that shot it 50 times...and unlike football missing is scored for your opponent in the form of defense and against you in the form of effective aggression. oh well who cares about the rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        Naseem Richardson: "During the fights in between rounds Hopkins told me when Tarver hit him "this sucker can punch". When Pavlik hit him in the arm Bernard said "I don't want to get hit flush in the face with that." When Calzaghe hit him Bernard said "This guy punches like my sister."
        hopkins sister≥ calzaghe> nigel benn

Comment

• Maaaan i dont give a **** WHO said it, Joe Calzaghe is not even in the same REALM of Punch Power as Nigel The Dark Destroyer Benn!

Nigel sure is big on Calzaghe though, he spoke very highly of him when i met em. I made my own feelings known too.....which were very different.

Comment

• Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
            Again: Listen to what Chris Eubank says: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Nk_rf4aOM#t=31m17s
            Even if Eubank was past prime, he still can tell how hard his opponents hit. And in this video he says it is a FACT that Calzaghe hits hard. And he even says he knows that cause he tasted his power. So what is the truth? What Benn and Eubank say or what YOU say?
            its what his fists say, and they say he couldnt knock people out, he needed a welsh ref to jump in for a premature stoppage against disinterested opponents, time and time and time and time again.

There is no need for a personal opinion when the video evidence is all there.

Comment

Working...
            X