No announcement yet.

Am I losing it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
    Duran controlled the fight. He could not however deny Leonard's will and it made for a competitive fight, more competitive than it looked to be from the outset with Duran having his way and backing Leonard up against the ropes. Duran had to back off in the later rounds as Leonard showed heart, refused to go down and fired off combinations, some of which indeed missed, some of which atleast glanced off Duran. It was not enough. I don't think anyone at ringside, even Leonard, truly thought he had actually won the fight at the time, but he answered a lot of questions about his toughness even in losing.

I believe that Duran felt he had banked enough of the early rounds to allow him to coast late, but it came close to costing him as the judges were atrociously scoring nearly every round a draw. In the end he was awarded a close but clear decision win though.
    A lot of those combinations were scoring to Duran's body and were very hard.Not glancing blows.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      A lot of those combinations were scoring to Duran's body and were very hard.Not glancing blows.
      Which is why I said that some of them atleast glanced off him, which means they connected and were scoring blows. Duran did a good job avoiding the punches and taking away from the impact but he did not avoid everything. Leonard was too fast for that to happen. Fast enough that you almost have to watch the punches in slow motion to know whether they connected or not.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
        Which is why I said that some of them atleast glanced off him, which means they connected and were scoring blows. Duran did a good job avoiding the punches and taking away from the impact but he did not avoid everything. Leonard was too fast for that to happen. Fast enough that you almost have to watch the punches in slow motion to know whether they connected or not.
        I agree and I was in a hurry and didn't thoroughly read your prior post. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          Yep, his best shots were to the body and it showed Leonard's underrated body punching. He landed some hellacious shots. It also showed that Dundee's original plan i.e. not the now supposed one of Leonard dancing and moving, but the original real one about making Duran back up (because he couldn't fight off the back foot) and going to the body (because he couldn't take it to the body) was very wrong on Dundee's part.

Whatever else happened in that fight, Duran and Leonard both showed mountains of toughness and grit.

It's got some of the best body punching from any fight in history from both guys in it. If you want to see a clinic on body punching there is no better fight to watch.

Comment

Great round, clearly belonged to Duran.

So refreshing to watch 2 guys fight so hard on the inside yet keep it clean enough that they hardly needed a referee in the ring.

Comment

Working...
            X