No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Oleksandr Usyk's Grand Arrival Marks New Trends in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BWC View Post
    Guy is no elite HW in this day and age. I assume he will move up eventually but he will get smoked at the top level in HW. Just way too much size and power up there...
    He fought super heavyweights in WsB and took shots from them and never buckled.

He is a bit small in this day and age, but unless you are willing to admit that all heavys of the past have no chance at modern HW likes of Ali including your statement does not apply here.

Comment

Originally posted by Banderivets View Post

He is a bit small in this day and age, but unless you are willing to admit that all heavys of the past have no chance at modern HW likes of Ali including your statement does not apply here.
      We're talking about massive guys with HUGE power like Wilder, AJ, etc. Even guys like Fury and Jarrell Miller can pop. We'll see. I'm not saying he doesn't have skills, just not sure they're enough in modern HW.

Comment

Originally posted by Banderivets View Post

Are you putting Usyk in the same class as Ali?

Personally I'd like to see him stay at cruiserweight for a while. There are a lot of interesting fights that can be made there that will challenge him. Dorticos and Lebedev in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Are you putting Usyk in the same class as Ali?

Personally I'd like to see him stay at cruiserweight for a while. There are a lot of interesting fights that can be made there that will challenge him. Dorticos and Lebedev in particular.
          Definitely not in the same class as Ali that's ridiculous.

Just making a size compassion. He is bigger than Ali. He's got an inch or two on him and seems to have a wider frame.

We can look at Haye recently as well.

I just don't think that with his ability he will be at that much of a disadvantage at Super heavy. His chin has not been tested that much but I've seen him get hit flush by super heavies and taking it without drama. Wolder and AJ are something else but at least we know that he won't drop from a decent shot like some.

He said before on Ukrainian TV after having spared Wlad that he feels he could hang with him, he actually called out Wlad on live TV in the same room with him.

With AJ, Tyson, Wilder you throw Usyk in the mix it's looking exciting.

Comment

he looks like he's been doing coke in that pic lol

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
              We're talking about massive guys with HUGE power like Wilder, AJ, etc. Even guys like Fury and Jarrell Miller can pop. We'll see. I'm not saying he doesn't have skills, just not sure they're enough in modern HW.
              he beat joe joyce, this year's silver medalist (unlucky not to win gold), who is a big guy and a big puncher

that was in a 5 rounder too

Comment

Yeah, Usyk really surprised me at how good he was. I picked Glowacki before, but Usyk scored an easy victory. He moves beautifully for such a big guy. There are some exciting fights at CW (imagine if Gassiev beats Lebedev and we get Usyk vs. Gassiev - a boxer vs. a power banger). He definitely has the tools to succeed at HW too. A little undersized, but his athletecism will serve him well against the slower men.

Comment

Originally posted by 1g5a22 View Post
                  Just watched it! Usyk dominated most of the rounds & his advantage increased in the last 3 rounds. It was supposed to be a close affair too LOL

Usyk's height, reach, speed and boxing ability was far too good for Glowacki. Usyk simply used his jab and movement to neutralize the power of the southpaw.

Holyfields record broken. CW history made. Usyk is sensational!
                  Indeed he did. Holyfield won a world cruiserweight title in 12 fights back in 1986, Usyk did it in 10. A record that will likely last another 30 years.

I'm impressed with Usyk. I favored him to win, but like others I thought it would be much more competitive.

He really is like a big Lomachenko. Excellent footwork. Very light on his feet for a big man which we rarely see at cruiserweight. Southpaw, great jab, very fast hands, solid combination punching, really not much to criticize about his game, the only real downside is he's a cruiserweight which just doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Comment

I hadn't heard of him before but saw some footage today and he has some serious skills. Marco Huck dominated the division for a long time but it looks like this guy is the new era.

Comment

I picked this upset. Payday.

Comment

Working...
                      X