No announcement yet.

Dwyer's Take on Rigo-Donaire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    You have to favor Donaire in this match-up, but I think the call is fairly close, maybe 60/40. I've been researching these guys more closely and reviewing footage these past few days. The more I analyze, the closer I see it. Maybe it's just the fan in me that skews my thoughts in Rigo's favor, but I'm beginning to like his chances more as time goes on. Guillermo is truly talented. Even in the Cordoba fight, which still sickens me to watch, he showed he's far from your average fighter. I think neither Donaire nor Rigo have faced an opponent as impressive as each other.
    You have to also think that Rigo hasn't really been fighting the most notable guys in the world so far either and I'd venture to guess that he hasn't had the mindset to prepare for his best performance. I'm not saying that Rigo is slacking off in training so much but more so his mind might not have been in the state to where he would be pumped to truly prove himself.

I only say this because a guy with his amateur pedigree (I know ams is not the pros) can probably win most of his fights not even being totally committed mentally. I feel Rigo will put forth the most effort he has ever put forth in this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
      He literally does.
      No...he picked Hernandez over Lara...actually he allways pick everyone over Lara...lol..focker

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        I actually like this assessment from Dwyer. I didn't think about the jab aspect but I was keen on Rigo's footwork and the fact that Donaire keeps his hands down so much. Also, he is very predictable when he is loading up on his punches which is normally not so much of a problem because he is fast when he punches and the opponents usually get into block mode because of his power.

Rigo's punches are very sharp, accurate and hard to spot. I can see him hurting Donaire as Donaire comes in after loading up for a big shot or as Dwyer mentioned, when he is stepping back with his hands down. Because of Rigo's great footwork, I agree that he will try to close the distance gap and counter with that sharp left up the middle as Nonito steps backwards after a big punch (he almost always keeps his hands down and admires his work for a moment after a big shot).

Nonito's left hook and Rigo's vulnerability to getting hit with a left is the equalizer for me though. The other thing that sticks out to me is that Donaire is becoming kind of a star in a sense and a big ego comes along with that. I could imagine Donaire thinking that "this guy doesn't have a chance in hell" which is a very, very dangerous mindset to have in general, much less against a guy with Rigo's skillset.
        Nice breakdown, Math. Always a pleasure to read a post that makes some damn sense around here.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          You have to also think that Rigo hasn't really been fighting the most notable guys in the world so far either and I'd venture to guess that he hasn't had the mindset to prepare for his best performance. I'm not saying that Rigo is slacking off in training so much but more so his mind might not have been in the state to where he would be pumped to truly prove himself.

I only say this because a guy with his amateur pedigree (I know ams is not the pros) can probably win most of his fights not even being totally committed mentally. I feel Rigo will put forth the most effort he has ever put forth in this fight.
          I have to agree. It's human nature. You have to remind yourself to put out your best effort against someone you know isn't in your league. It's different from being locked in a cage with a Tiger. You tend to be raised to the highest power in that situation. No mental lapses are even possible.

Comment

Working...
          X