No announcement yet.

PTI: Ali vs. Frazier I was the biggest sporting event of all-time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTI: Ali vs. Frazier I was the biggest sporting event of all-time

Just turning 22 and everyone who was not alive or old enough to remember this fight I think will never understand the true significance of this fight or how truly big of an event this was. Anyone old enough to remember this fight and have any stories about it?

Yeah, I'd like to hear some of the stories from the old timers on here who witnessed the fight live.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Yeah, I'd like to hear some of the stories from the old timers on here who witnessed the fight live.
      for sure. Not sure if there is any one on here old enough to remember this considering it happened in 1971.

Comment

One of my mother's friends was there, and when I asked her about it she said it really was the most incredible thing you could imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          One of my mother's friends was there, and when I asked her about it she said it really was the most incredible thing you could imagine.
          Damn that is badass she was at the fight it must have been crazy expensive to get a ticket to the garden.

Comment

ESPN knows little to nothing about boxing. Ali-Foreman "THE RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE" was the biggest event all time

Joe Frazier's passing brings this kind of bias to the events or fights he has been in but the Foreman fight with Ali was bigger in reality. This takes NOTHING away to Joe as a fighter, he is one of the greatest ever and is one of the key icons in the sport of boxing.

Comment

the most significant fight in American history was Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling II. From what I understand, the entire country stopped what they were doing to witness it, as well as other people from around the world. A lot of it had to do with WWII going on in the background and the moral victory it meant over tyranny but it wasn't really a good fight as it was a first round knock out.

I'd say Ali v. Frazier was up there with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Training View Post
                ESPN knows little to nothing about boxing. Ali-Foreman "THE RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE" was the biggest event all time

Joe Frazier's passing brings this kind of bias to the events or fights he has been in but the Foreman fight with Ali was bigger in reality. This takes NOTHING away to Joe as a fighter, he is one of the greatest ever and is one of the key icons in the sport of boxing.
                How so? That may have been "The Rumble in the Jungle" but Ali v Frazier was "The Fight of the Century".

Comment

It was also Ali's first loss.. which is something that was huge!

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
                    the most significant fight in American history was Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling II. From what I understand, the entire country stopped what they were doing to witness it, as well as other people from around the world. A lot of it had to do with WWII going on in the background and the moral victory it meant over tyranny but it wasn't really a good fight as it was a first round knock out.

I'd say Ali v. Frazier was up there with that one.
                    Most significant from a patriotic view = Louis-Schmeling. I agree since this fight meant a lot to the public of each nation represented because of the tensions between Germany and USA.

However, Ali-Foreman is the biggest event ever. If Ali happened to pass away yesterday, PTI would try to act knowledgeable and say Ali was in the biggest event ever with Foreman. They have a bias towards Frazier right now because his passing is a hot topic and PTI thinks they know boxing so they attempt to keep that "image of knowledge" when it comes to boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X