Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does England suck so bad in soccer, I thought it's their no1 sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it fair to say that the English style favors brute strength/physicality over pure skill?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Is it fair to say that the English style favors brute strength/physicality over pure skill?
      No not really. England try to play textbook footy.

Other teams are simply better.

Holland play aggressive attacking style

Italy have a suave defensive and clinical style

France have a great attacking and counter attack style, or used to.

Germans used to be a well oiled machine. Like everything was tight, especially in the Lothar Matthias days.

England just dont have enough super star players to compete.

I havent seen a good strike force since Gary Lineker, Johnny Barnes and even Alan Shearer days. Players are not the same

Comment

Yes and no. English players are ALL physical fit and strong. The national style has NO identity. It's very basic football, pass it to the winger and try and loop it in the box. TOO reliant on the fullbacks and not enough emphasis on quick, agile, one two football or movement OFF the ball. Look at the Spanish team over the years, usually smaller but far more skillful than everyone. It took the World 6 years to figure out how to beat Spain and that was partially due to the likes of Xavi/Villa/Puyol/Casillas/Alonso ageing and the players coming up not being on their level. I'll argue that they'd still be #1 if they had those guys in their prime.

Englands best players over the years have been Shearer, Scholes, Rooney, Owen, Gascoigne, Ferdinand, Terry, Adams, Cole and Beckham. All players who could/did play at the top level. I didn't include Gerrard/Lamps because they didn't perform for England like they did at club level. Scholes was often played out of position but still played better.
        Last edited by hayZ; 06-28-2016, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
          Yes and no. English players are ALL physical fit and strong. The national style has NO identity. It's very basic football, pass it to the winger and try and loop it in the box. TOO reliant on the fullbacks and not enough emphasis on quick, agile, one two football or movement OFF the ball. Look at the Spanish team over the years, usually smaller but far more skillful than everyone. It took the World 6 years to figure out how to beat Spain and that was partially due to the likes of Xavi/Villa/Puyol/Casillas/Alonso ageing and the players coming up not being on their level. I'll argue that they'd still be #1 if they had those guys in their prime.

Englands best players over the years have been Shearer, Scholes, Rooney, Owen, Gascoigne, Ferdinand, Terry, Adams, Cole and Beckham. All players who could/did play at the top level. I didn't include Gerrard/Lamps because they didn't perform for England like they did at club level. Scholes was often played out of position but still played better.
          I remember Michael Owen. Probably the last really special player you guys have had, in my opinion. Along with maybe Beckham.

Shame about that injury.

Comment

I remember Michael Owen. Probably the last really special player you guys have had, in my opinion. Along with maybe Beckham.

Shame about that injury.
            Absolutely but he didn't work on his legs much too which also impacted him negatively. Instead of conditioning his legs he would just run run run after an injury.

Rooney was excellent at Euro 2004, he wasn't fit at WC 2006 due to his injury but he'd never been the same internationally after then. He peaked at 24/25 years old and declined rapidly.

Comment

Working...
            X