Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Martinez getting a free pass?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People respect what Sergio's done in the sport and can't bring themselves to slate him for getting a payday. At least that's how I feel. I think he should be fighting Golovkin too.

Comment

Originally posted by Keitha313 View Post
      He has been ducking GGG for a very long time now, people can make excuses and say their is no money in the GGG fight happening but was their much cash at stake with holding the Murray vs Martinez fight in Argentina?
      I'd say this is unfair, Murray had just drawn with Felix Sturm and before that Martinez school Chavez Jr who was considered his biggest threat. It's unfortunate Martinez got injured, he hasn't really had the chance to duck GGG until now. GGG's been under the eye of hardcore fans for a couple of years, but 2013 was definitely his coming out year although the Proksa KO was impressive at the time.

So I don't think Martinez has ducked GGG for any length of time other than now, where he's returning and GGG is everyone's favourite Middleweight contender to face him. Since Martinez has been injured GGG has really pulled up some trees. No one was really calling for the fight in 2012 or before. I think Martinez has defended against pretty solid opposition generally.

Comment

Yes it's a BS fight, cotto's never fought at middleweight and he's 1-2 in his last 3 fights.

When was the last time cotto best a prime top fighter?

Comment

I love this fight. It's a great match-up, event of the year hands down and as a fan, I want to see Cotto pursue history and who better to do it against than someone as proven as Martinez?

2ndly Martinez didn't have a great performance in his last fight, coming off injuries and by the time June rolls around he'll have been out of the ring for 14 months. He's not ready for GGG right now.

Cotto isn't necessarily anybodies tune-up, but this is a good fight for both men. I'm excited about it

And this fight is better than Cotto-Alvarez, they can make that later after Canelo gets himself rolling again. I like Canelo, but let's cut the bull**** the dude has one solid victory under his belt, just 1. Who else gets this much hype with one good victory? How come Lara isn't being hyped up to new proportions after beating Trout? Let the kid get himself back up and that fight will be bigger than ever if Cotto happens to somehow beat Martinez.

Comment

The way I see it is that the way Martinez has looked recently, he's getting old and you can't reverse time. If he shows up with this age STILL, it won't be an easy night with Cotto at all.

If Martinez wins and fights GGG after: GGG KOd/beat a faded walking skeleton.

If Cotto wins and fights GGG after: GGG KOd/beat a washed up champion that wasn't at optimal weight.

Comment

it's a backlash against the support / fanbase of lord golovkin.
              of course martinez should fight his top contender, and the biggest draw who campaigns in the division other than martinez.

in golovkin we trust.
              nymph in thy orizons
              be all my sins remembered.

lord lou, in his dibella wisdom, tells it like it is. go look for some of his rhetoric on golovkin. it's quite candid. he doesn't want to risk martinez fighting him. i don't have a ton of issues with a guy who got such a late start in boxing looking to make some money before his 40th birthday that doesn't involve taking a beating. if i were martinez manager i'd keep him lightyears away from golovkin. the smart fights for matinez agre against smaller guys; alvarez y cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                People respect what Sergio's done in the sport and can't bring themselves to slate him for getting a payday. At least that's how I feel. I think he should be fighting Golovkin too.

this.

merry christmas, rhumey.

Comment

I don't know whether Martinez is done or not. There's no point in a Golovkin vs Martinez if he's is a shot corpse. If Golovkin beat Martinez, I want to know if Golovkin beat him because he's a special talent or because Martinez is done. I watch boxing for the hope of competitive fights, not to to see Golovkin bathe in the blood of mismatched opponents.

The Cotto fight will be a good gauge. If Martinez is at the level he fought Murray, then it should be a good competitive fight. If Martinez does at least better than what Trout did, then bring on the Golovkin fight. He isn't as shot as people think.
                  Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 12-24-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Cotto is a warrior......dis is not a free pass.....ggg needs to get some names on his resume before he calls out sergio........sergio and cotto fought the best......and dis is a tough fight for sergio comin off injury wit a huge payday he deserves.....

Comment

Originally posted by Money_May View Post
                      Yes it's a BS fight, cotto's never fought at middleweight and he's 1-2 in his last 3 fights.

When was the last time cotto best a prime top fighter?
                      GGG fights plenty of JMW's lol and what prime or top fighter has he beat?

NONE lmao

Comment

Working...
                      X