No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Khan-Judah - Forerunner, The Upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Khan-Judah - Forerunner, The Upgrade

by David P. Greisman - A perfect record doesn’t indicate a perfect fighter.

Nobody begins with flawless form, peerless ability, superlative skills. Rare are the truly transcendent, those who come closest to perfection. The rest peak somewhere below, then work to prolong the ephemeral, prevent the inevitable.

Amir Khan and Zab Judah were not perfect models. Their records designated as much. Judah had suffered as many losses as the number of world titles he’d earned (six). Khan had been defeated just once, but the doubters brought out after that 54-second demolition hadn’t disappeared, even three years and seven straight wins later.

But those losses weren’t the clichéd beginnings of their ends. Each had rebuilt, retooled and revitalized his career.

Judah had been a titleholder who’d fallen one highlight-reel knockout loss short of being the best at 140 pounds. Then he’d been the undisputed champion one division above, at welterweight, but not for long, losing in an upset against Carlos Baldomir. That was followed by losses against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto.

He was slipping away from viability, but he still had his marketability. His name and his past accomplishments allowed him another chance, a fight for a vacant belt against Joshua Clottey. Judah would lose once again, though, and take stock of his career. Though he’d been the champion at 147, welterweights were too big for him. He began one more run at 140, barely beating Lucas Matthysse, then coming back to beat Kaizer Mabuza for a title. [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    by David P. Greisman - A perfect record doesn’t indicate a perfect fighter.

Nobody begins with flawless form, peerless ability, superlative skills. Rare are the truly transcendent, those who come closest to perfection. The rest peak somewhere below, then work to prolong the ephemeral, prevent the inevitable.

Amir Khan and Zab Judah were not perfect models. Their records designated as much. Judah had suffered as many losses as the number of world titles he’d earned (six). Khan had been defeated just once, but the doubters brought out after that 54-second demolition hadn’t disappeared, even three years and seven straight wins later.

But those losses weren’t the clichéd beginnings of their ends. Each had rebuilt, retooled and revitalized his career.

Judah had been a titleholder who’d fallen one highlight-reel knockout loss short of being the best at 140 pounds. Then he’d been the undisputed champion one division above, at welterweight, but not for long, losing in an upset against Carlos Baldomir. That was followed by losses against Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Miguel Cotto.

He was slipping away from viability, but he still had his marketability. His name and his past accomplishments allowed him another chance, a fight for a vacant belt against Joshua Clottey. Judah would lose once again, though, and take stock of his career. Though he’d been the champion at 147, welterweights were too big for him. He began one more run at 140, barely beating Lucas Matthysse, then coming back to beat Kaizer Mabuza for a title. [Click Here To Read More]
    Hello David,

Just don't agree with your comment that Judah was hit right on the belltline. He was hit clearly below the beltline, as the still "point and time of impact" photo shows. Not enough to have him unable to get up, but enought for him to be rightfully awarded an up to 5 minute break.

Earlier on Sat afternoon (don't know how recent or what date fight was, as everything in is Spanish) I saw a Dirrell fight and he hit his opponent directly on the cup, when the ref was on the other side, and didn't see it. The guy dropped, in agony and couldn't get up, took a while to get him able to move and I never saw him able to stand up. But the ref counted him out. I wonder when or if the protest to the Commission had or will come in?

Comment

I'm glad Zab had his arse handed to him on Sat. I don't agree that it was a low blow; right on the bellybutton. I believe Zab saw an excuse and saw the writing on the wall and gave up. Just like in all his huge fights...he choked.

I hope Zab hangs them up, it's long over due.

I've never really been a Khan fan, but damn I really like the way he took the fight to Zab. I was impressed.

Comment

greisman, your ignorance is appalling, again..

1)Victor Conte is not a controversial figure---HE'S A CONVICTED FELON AND BALCO founder.
        2)CBS never cross-promotes/ABC for ESPN either...as 95% of stations are locally owned, not owned by the networks//go look at an ESPN contract and see how much chump change these guys are making....

never know why reeno gives u monday front column.... it's like PATCH for the boxing audience.

Comment

Hi, Maury,

I've delved several times into my concerns over Conte still being involved with boxers today. His past makes him continued involvement in athletics a controversial situation.

Networks such as CBS have their own commercial blocks, which is why you see advertisements for other shows during their programming. In fact, it's usually the other way around, with the local networks getting a little bit of time for local commercials. This, of course, is valid largely for national programming.

You're welcome to attempt a mature discussion next time...

Edgar, I've not seen the photo to which you refer. Every replay I've seen, however, still seems borderline to me (and others concur). We've disagreed on things in the past and will occasionally do so again, but you know I'll be open to seeing that photographic evidence.

The Anthony Dirrell low blow was a completely missed call by that ref. Dirrell would've won anyway, but that doesn't justify things.

Comment

Working...
          X