Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikey garcia gives details of top rank legal battle: "they didn't offer any fights"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Probably won't know the full story about this for years if ever, but the fact that TR had 3 or 4 notable fighters sitting for a year within the last few years suggest something they are doing isn't on the up & up & the fighters figured it out cuz this happened too many times to too many different guys.
    They let Chavez Jr. go right? I remember Arum had issues with him too.

Idk what's up with Top Rank and Brandon Rios but he's been benched for a little too long after his last victory. Now that momentum is gone for him. It was a good opportunity for Bob Arum to bring Rios back in the "W" spotlight. Idk Rios is an elite fighter, but he's solid and he can give fans exciting fights. I wanna see Rios vs. Providnikov at 147lbs. Rios vs. Bradley next is interesting.

Didn't Oscar De La Hoya eventually have a falling out with Arum back in the day? Idk, but I know Floyd and Arum had their grudge for a long time. Best decision Floyd made was leaving Top Rank. I'm not saying Mikey Garcia is on Floyd's level or anything like that, but I think he's talented and it's going to waste right now. He's not making money not fighting, Arum isn't making anything off him keeping him shelved, I say just cut it off and go separate ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Thank Me Later View Post
      Didn't Oscar De La Hoya eventually have a falling out with Arum back in the day? Idk, but I know Floyd and Arum had their grudge for a long time. Best decision Floyd made was leaving Top Rank. I'm not saying Mikey Garcia is on Floyd's level or anything like that, but I think he's talented and it's going to waste right now. He's not making money not fighting, Arum isn't making anything off him keeping him shelved, I say just cut it off and go separate ways.
      All of the biggest names TR helped create, except Pacquiao, seemingly felt burned by them at some later point in their career so this seems like a where theres smoke theres fire situation with how often this has played out with TR fighters, in particular lately with lesser names than Oscar, Floyd & Miguel.

Having said that when you have a product, Mikey Garcia, who's clearly worth money to some promotional entity you gotta hang on to him til they get some money for that product or its just bad business & you could be pissing away a million or more.

From Garcia's side at this point it sounds like he's just willing to sit another 4, 6, 12 months to perhaps pay nothing to get out of his contact with TR. Assuming there is some legal reason he should have been able to do that already. I suspect if that was the case Garcia could potentially make another few million from TR from loss earnings during this case or a future one. I'd bet against that as promotional companies can afford legal experts to come up with these sketchy ass contracts that are legally binding while most fighters at best get a family member who's moderately successful to "look over" these sorta contracts & determine how good or bad they are.

Comment

Why should top rank let him go?

They have most likely invested a few millioninto him. In hope that, in the future he would get paid from network details instead he wants to breach his contract

If he wants to leave then he needs to repay the funds he made them invest or sit it out until his contract is done

Comment

What may weather did is buy out his contract, Garcia is refusing to do this and wants to leave for free

All he has to do is pay up what's in Yao contract and he can go like all boxers

Comment

Everything started with the Gamboa fight, he wanted more money and the Cuban comply, still no fight...

Comment

Originally posted by BendOver View Post
              Everything started with the Gamboa fight, he wanted more money and the Cuban comply, still no fight...
              How much was Mikey Garcia suppose to get for that fight? I don't remember the details but I do remember he was suppose to fight Gamboa.

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
                What may weather did is buy out his contract, Garcia is refusing to do this and wants to leave for free
                Sounds like that was what Garcia was trying to do all last year & TR didn't wanna play ball so now Garcia doesn't wanna play ball when TR is ready to start talking $. I don't see why TR turning down a buyout for the year plus this has been going on is okay & now last month they decide to wanna do it & now Garcia changes his mind & its not okay for Garcia to think the same way TR did.

Comment

Sounds like that was what Garcia was trying to do all last year & TR didn't wanna play ball so now Garcia doesn't wanna play ball when TR is ready to start talking $. I don't see why TR turning down a buyout for the year plus this has been going on is okay & now last month they decide to wanna do it & now Garcia changes his mind & its not okay for Garcia to think the same way TR did.
                  But who's losing right now? Arum is worth a few hundred million while Mikey is sitting on the sidelines making no money and just building ring rust.

He should have honored his contract then left once his obligations were met.

Comment

All of the biggest names TR helped create, except Pacquiao, seemingly felt burned by them at some later point in their career so this seems like a where theres smoke theres fire situation with how often this has played out with TR fighters, in particular lately with lesser names than Oscar, Floyd & Miguel.

Having said that when you have a product, Mikey Garcia, who's clearly worth money to some promotional entity you gotta hang on to him til they get some money for that product or its just bad business & you could be pissing away a million or more.

From Garcia's side at this point it sounds like he's just willing to sit another 4, 6, 12 months to perhaps pay nothing to get out of his contact with TR. Assuming there is some legal reason he should have been able to do that already. I suspect if that was the case Garcia could potentially make another few million from TR from loss earnings during this case or a future one. I'd bet against that as promotional companies can afford legal experts to come up with these sketchy ass contracts that are legally binding while most fighters at best get a family member who's moderately successful to "look over" these sorta contracts & determine how good or bad they are.
                    more likely is that after all the heavy lifting has been done, all the financial losses incurred by TR in developing the fighter, when they finally get to the point where they are starting to make some money, they resent that TR is actually finally making a dollar too, so suddenly they dont "need" them anymore.

No different really than getting your PHD and a great job but not wanting to pay your student loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                      But who's losing right now? Arum is worth a few hundred million while Mikey is sitting on the sidelines making no money and just building ring rust.

He should have honored his contract then left once his obligations were met.
                      I'd assume its a contract issue thats in dispute thus he probably feels he did honor his contract which is why its where its at.

And at this point Garcia might as well just go for damages if he wins this case, but **** to me it sounds like he's just resigned to playing out his hand now cuz its been so long, whats another 6months at this point really? Not much.

Comment

Working...
                      X