Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kell Brook, Hearn at Odds Over Money For Jessie Vargas Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HAY-B View Post
    I would consider Kell to be the draw in this fight as its happening in the UK. Hell its not like Vargas is a top draw here in America So I know he's not that popular there. Home turf higher pay or at least equal pay. If this fight were in Vegas , then I would agree with / expect Vargas to get more than Kell. I think Hearn might be getting funny with the money
    Of course Brook is the draw. But he's not so much of a draw that he can fight anyone and make millions. That's why he has such a hard time finding people to fight.

So to get him to that stage, he probably needs to accept that they have to pay big big money to get someone over. Especially if they want that belt.

Comment

Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
      They don't have a hard time finding solid opposition. They have a hard time looking for solid opposition. Brook won his belt and has fought no one, Hearn hasn't negotiated with any fighter of note, and they spent the last few years doing nothing apart from trying to get Khan in the ring. Brook is not a draw and hiding him from top competition has done nothing to reverse that. Now Hearn has to split a small pot where the fighters coming over are going to want a big chunk of said pot. Brook should have had more fights in America with at least a little higher competition and these pots would be bigger. Any way it looks like Hearn is finally on the right track, unfortunately the money might not be there for the Thurmans and Bradleys of the world, and they aren't even huge draws themselves, they just command larger splits then fighters like Vargas.
      Well you're pretty much contradicting yourself. If they have a hard time looking for opposition, but can't pay the likes of Thurman/Bradley they money they want, they're in a bit of a pickle?

When Brook was making his first defense, both Bradley and Khan dropped out of the IBF rankings. That's not Brook's fault. They offered Khan a fight for summer '15, he turned it down. They offered Bradley, he fought Vargas instead.

Garcia said no, Khan said no, Bradley said no, Rios said no, Thurman/Porter not available, Cotto said no.. the list goes on and on. He wanted to fight Chaves but after the injury, IBF said he had to fight Bizier.

I mean, to say Brook doesn't want to fight the best is crazy. But the issue is that people like Bradley and Rios can fight each other for more or less the same, rather than travel to the uk to fight Brook.

It's just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        So where's the extra 700k? Vargas gets 1.7m for taking his belt overseas. Brook is asked to take less, basically Saunders purse. Brook is much more popular than Saunders, and Ggg is much better known than Vargas and happy to take his 3 belts to the UK.
        No, Saunders was offered that to come to America. He says he'll fight in America but they have to offer him more. If Hearn can get $1.7 for Vargas to come over there, K2 should be able to get more than $1.5 to get Saunders over here. GGG is way more popular and sells out larger venues than Kell. And his PPV's cost more. If Hearn can get $1.7 for Vargas, K2 should start the offer for BJS at $2 mil. GGG isn't coming to the UK for BJS because Warren can't afford him. Hearn can so that's why they're talking about fighting Eubank instead of Saunders. It's really about the money, not the belts.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
          No, Saunders was offered that to come to America. He says he'll fight in America but they have to offer him more. If Hearn can get $1.7 for Vargas to come over there, K2 should be able to get more than $1.5 to get Saunders over here. GGG is way more popular and sells out larger venues than Kell. And his PPV's cost more. If Hearn can get $1.7 for Vargas, K2 should start the offer for BJS at $2 mil. GGG isn't coming to the UK for BJS because Warren can't afford him. Hearn can so that's why they're talking about fighting Eubank instead of Saunders. It's really about the money, not the belts.
          I'm not even sure Ggg Saunders is an Hbo Ppv. If so, it grosses less than the cheaper Brook Vargas Uk Ppv. At least Lemieux had a fun style and a punchers chance.

It's not only about the money, it's also about willingness and Eubank seems to have MUCH more confidence than Saunders vs Ggg.

Comment

I understand having to pay Vargas more to go there. If they give Vargas 1.7 mill then I think a fair offer to Brook would be $1.2 million. Vargas getting 500K more for having to go to the UK. Brook receiving anything less than 1.2 mill isn't fair imo. I don't like Hearn to begin with, I think he's the one holding back Brook and was the one who made us wait for Fampton vs Quigg. He's a bit of a scumbag if you ask me.

Comment

Hearn knows the truth . All those years of fighting bums are catching up and you can't give money which doesn't exist. Had Brook been fighting stellar opposition then there wouldn't be a problem. All these fighters who they claimed turned down fights were given peanuts to fight Brook. They are used to making more money and bringing them over to the UK will cost more. Brook will have to take far less money as he has done nothing to build his name otherwise he is back to square 1 of fighting bums before Spence takes away that belt.

Comment

i want J.V. to bring that IBF belt back to the states,but i don't blame Brook. he's the champion. no way would i stand for some crap like this.as a champion i'm making more than my opponent.

Comment

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CatchweightKing View Post
                  Not sure why brook cares. Vargas isn't even gonna keep 50% of that lol. He's making more in the end

Originally posted by killakali View Post
                  Why wouldn't he keep 50%? That's his purse. His promoter cut is always taken care of. He just has to pay his mgr trainer and cut man which Brook has to do as well
                  And add costs of sparring partners etc, plus taxes. Usually, unless the rules have changed, you can expect the fighter will net about 50-60% of the gross figure they've agreed to.

Comment

I don't know/care much about the business side of boxing, to be honest. But, from reading this interview, I really doubt Brook will be able to unify the division. Especially if he intends to make the majority of his defenses against the rest of the top opposition in the division in the U.K...I can see Porter being willing to travel tot he U.K. for a rematch, possibly. Highly doubt that Garcia would, though. And I question if Thurman would, also. A Khan fight just isn't going to happen, Khan has given every reason to avoid that match up. I think right now Spence would probably be most likely to travel to the U.K. to fight Brook and not drag out negotiations over money. If Spence continues to grow his profile, however, that might not be the case as he gets more known.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankJack View Post
                      I don't know/care much about the business side of boxing, to be honest. But, from reading this interview, I really doubt Brook will be able to unify the division. Especially if he intends to make the majority of his defenses against the rest of the top opposition in the division in the U.K...I can see Porter being willing to travel tot he U.K. for a rematch, possibly. Highly doubt that Garcia would, though. And I question if Thurman would, also. A Khan fight just isn't going to happen, Khan has given every reason to avoid that match up. I think right now Spence would probably be most likely to travel to the U.K. to fight Brook and not drag out negotiations over money. If Spence continues to grow his profile, however, that might not be the case as he gets more known.
                      But the fighters care about the business side. they take punishment and need to be paid or there's no fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X