No announcement yet.

A Faded Champ: The Saddest Thing In All Of Sports

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Faded Champ: The Saddest Thing In All Of Sports

I remember as a child watching elephants getting shot on a nature channel and crying, my dad flashed a grin and gave a whispered laugh, only to say "Don't worry son they'll live". Unbeknownst to me, the elephants were getting shot with tranquilizers in order to be treated to actually prolong life not take it.

Fast forward years later, my son is watching a tape of Ali versus Holmes, a different Ali he read and had seen in previous fights, he bashfully tries to conceal a tear flowing down his cheek, I looked over to my son with a grin and a whispered laugh and relutantly said, "Don't worry son he'll live". You see what Holmes was actually doing was somehow helping Ali, as did the violent tranquilizers the elephants were shot with.In delivering the beating he did, he would help oust Ali from the sport, thereby saving him from more punishment.

When does a man realize he can't do what the masses once praised, when the once bright light starts to dim on a champ, somehow he who is generating the flame is the last to know there is but a flicker left. When we behold greatness at its peak and cant quite put a finger on what makes the champ so great, but he knows he tells us all the time, years later we see that "it" is gone but he doesnt see it has. Toast in rememberance of all of boxing's champs of yesterday, forever champs.
    Last edited by Bhopreign; 01-01-2009, 04:30 PM.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Comment

Working...
    X