Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather-Cotto Generates 1.5 Million Buys, $94 Million

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good numbers, I expected maybe 1.6 or 7 but it wasn't to far off, 2nd highest gross says it all, I think that it could have done better but a lot of us that were considering buying the fight just ended up watching it on stream at the last second. After all, We knew Floyd would be victorious... Floyd will probably walk away with 42 million..

Comment

• Originally posted by EngorgedW/Blood View Post
      It's impressive, but you have to realize, Floyd is now by himself with the numbers he puts up. People expect these numbers from him. Since he got a little help from Canelo-Mosley, people like me expected at least 1.8.

Put it this way, Floyd is not only put to high standards with his opponents, but also his PPV numbers. If Floyd does 600k, that would be a gigantic flop nowadays for his standards, he would get ****ted on so much, it's not even funny.

But for Cotto-Margarito II, two of the bigge$t names in boxing from mid 2000-present, 500-600k was more than a success, it was like a "Wow, they did THAT much!?". For Floyd it would be "Damn, that's all he did?".
      This about sums it up......

Comment

• Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
        are you serious?can you provide a link ?would like to show my friends
        Serious about what part? He's right on both PPV being too high ($70 for HD) and the fact that Jones vs Evans did 700k buys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_145

Comment

• Originally posted by WESS View Post
          I got to see it first hand at the MGM. Grown men pissed off and nearly crying because they where so pissed that Floyd won. Then the fights broke out while I was trying to leave the stadium to make it to the Fat Joe concert at the LAX.. very comical.
          It's kinda sad really.

I feel really bad for them. Right after the fight ended you had "fans" going bananas on the facebook boxing group where I post.

Ha!

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
            And by the way, with respect to Arum and Pacquiao...Mayweather SHOULD NOT accept 50/50!
            there you go. with fanatics like this who needs the fight? all they're concerned about is dickride all day without getting a single cent. even at the expense of not seeing the fight.

"mayweather SHOULD NOT accept 50/50."

so ****ing what? fight won't happen. so what? you hero would be labeled a coward for the rest of his life. that's exactly what i want.

Comment

• Originally posted by EngorgedW/Blood View Post
              It's impressive, but you have to realize, Floyd is now by himself with the numbers he puts up. People expect these numbers from him. Since he got a little help from Canelo-Mosley, people like me expected at least 1.8.

Put it this way, Floyd is not only put to high standards with his opponents, but also his PPV numbers. If Floyd does 600k, that would be a gigantic flop nowadays for his standards, he would get ****ted on so much, it's not even funny.

But for Cotto-Margarito II, two of the bigge$t names in boxing from mid 2000-present, 500-600k was more than a success, it was like a "Wow, they did THAT much!?". For Floyd it would be "Damn, that's all he did?".
              I don't think many bought the PPV only for Canelo or Mosley, defnitely not Shane. The last time anyone saw Mosley was a year ago and he put up one of the most boring PPV main event fights in a long time. But I get what you're syaing with Floyd having unreal expectations, which is proof alone that he probably is a bigger draw than Pac. When Pac-Clottey did 700,000 PPV buys, people just said "Oh, it was Clottey, wasn't Pac's fault". If Floyd-Ortiz, and Victor is nowhere near a PPV draw, did those numbers, Floyd would get crucified for having those numbers. But instead he did 1.25 million with Ortiz, and he STILL had some people saying that wasn't good, even though that's the same #'s that Pac did with De La Hoya and Cotto.

Floyd draws and sells more, it's clear in the expectations that he's set for himself.

With that said, 1.5 million is a great number for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                Don't be stupid. Having a bigger following doesn't mean you sell more PPV. Mayweather is an English speaking fighter who does more to sell himself and lots of people want to see him lose as well as his followers.
                Are you actually saying that some ppl paid 70 dollars to watch Floyd lose?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarab View Post
                  50/50 is FAIR. How can 60/40 be fair? Ask Floyd if he'll take 40% and see what he'll tell you.
                  Floyd is not the one getting consistently outsold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                    You realize that it's not 100% incremental?

The last time boxing fans saw Mosley, how did he look?
                    What about the casual fans who only buy big boxing events? I know people who only buy Mayweather's PPV's and no one else's, these are Hispanics too, not blacks. So let's say the last fight they saw was Mosley-Mayweather. Where Mosley got shut out, but had those couple of respectable right hands he landed. These people would think "Oh, Shane Mosley, the guy who hurt Mayweather badly in that one round, I wonder if he can do the same to Canelo". You think they're gonna talk about Mosley-Mora? And you think a bunch of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans actually bought Pacquiao-Mosley? I mean I did, but I don't know many other people that did. I'm pretty sure the majority of the "1.3mill" were Filipinos.

Comment

• Floyd vs. Pacquiao

vs. Oscar de la Hoya
                      Floyd: 17,078 tickets sold ($18,419,200 gate) PPV: 2.4 million
                      Pacquiao: 14,468 tickets sold ($14,380,300 gate) PPV: 1.25 million

vs. Juan Manuel Marquez
                      Floyd: 12,009 tickets sold ($6,865,250 gate) PPV: 1 million
                      Pacquiao: 15,498 tickets sold ($11,648,300 gate) PPV: 1.45 million

vs. Shane Mosley
                      Floyd: 14,038 tickets sold ($11,032,100 gate) PPV: 1.4 million
                      Pacquiao: 15,422 tickets sold ($8,882,600 gate) PPV: 1.34 million

vs. Ricky Hatton
                      Floyd: 15,488 tickets sold ($10,393,950 gate) PPV: 920,000
                      Pacquiao: 15,368 tickets sold ($8,832,950 gate) PPV: 850,000

vs. Miguel Cotto
                      Floyd: 14,612 tickets sold ($12,000,150 gate) PPV: 1.5 million
                      Pacquiao: 15,479 tickets sold ($8,847,550 gate) PPV: 1.25 million

Summary: Floyd is the PPV king and a bigger draw at the box office. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. With the 5 same opponents, Floyd has sold more PPV buys than Pacquiao with 4 of them. While Pacquiao does sell more tickets (Marquez, Mosley, Cotto), Floyd is able to sell tickets albeit at much higher prices thus you can say being more of a draw than Pacquiao.

Figures taken from the NSAC: http://boxing.nv.gov/New_Gates.htm
                      And wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

Comment

Working...
                      X