George Dixon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Good stuff, thanks bro!
    Thanks bro..nice to see you Barn and Mcgoorty in the thick of things...

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      That can be argued to an extent, and yes there are always throwbacks in all eras. But you must also acknowledge that a guy like mayweather is gonna lose some fights, and I think he cant just make a smooth adjustment to 20 round fights,,, and believe it or not there were guys who fought at a fast pace through 20 rounds, hell the pace that Wolgast and nelson go at for a large majority of those 40 rounds is simply incredible. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I stand by my quote that the short fights have created far more "dancers" (of which I do not count Mayweather),,,,,, actually there are certain aspects of Floyds stance and the way he holds his hands that is sort of old school....... and also I believe some old timers would have had more success today than they did under the old conditions//// Mike Gibbons and Gene Tunney would be great today (as they were in their own time),, but Tunney would have had to settle for the cruisers. Battling Nelson on the other hand would have lost so many on points today, but come out without ever being hurt of course............. the one thing you dont take into consideration is the having to have 13 fights in one year against elite fighters,, as a result, Floyd Mayweather hasn't had the wear and tear on his body that say,,,,, Sam Langford had had at that age,, also,, I doubt if he'd make the sort of money he is used to back then.
      I agree with regards to the consistency. If Floyd fought at the frequency of those guys then he's picking up losses, Godzilla would. Another advantage I feel these guys have is everything is an event. If you hurt your arm slightly and it was nagging you, you can easily call the fight off. Old timers had no such liberty and were forced to fight with various ailments and minor injuries. Which when you fight at a high and equal level, is going to affect you.

I always thought the Wolgast vs Nelson intensity was exaggerated somewhat. I believe they only have 3 rounds or so published and fair enough they look fast in that but, nothing says they were at such a ferocious pace the previous rounds. It's like taking round 6 from De La Hoya vs Quartey and using that as our measuring stick for what the rest of the fight was.

I honestly think Mayweather is that awesome at adjusting and figuring things out pre and mid fight he could hop into a 20 round fight right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        I agree with regards to the consistency. If Floyd fought at the frequency of those guys then he's picking up losses, Godzilla would. Another advantage I feel these guys have is everything is an event. If you hurt your arm slightly and it was nagging you, you can easily call the fight off. Old timers had no such liberty and were forced to fight with various ailments and minor injuries. Which when you fight at a high and equal level, is going to affect you.

I always thought the Wolgast vs Nelson intensity was exaggerated somewhat. I believe they only have 3 rounds or so published and fair enough they look fast in that but, nothing says they were at such a ferocious pace the previous rounds. It's like taking round 6 from De La Hoya vs Quartey and using that as our measuring stick for what the rest of the fight was.

I honestly think Mayweather is that awesome at adjusting and figuring things out pre and mid fight he could hop into a 20 round fight right now.
        I was talking about Rugby League players on one thread earlier and it occurs to me that those guys are more like the old time boxers that modern boxers. We are talking about blokes who play an intensely rough contact sport and from a young age are conditioned to play with injuries, as you say the modern boxer superstars are not inclined to fight on with an injury. but of course must have had to in some stage of their development. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I ever have a son, I would much rather him take up Boxing than to play Rugby League simply because it is somewhat safer,, virtually all professional League players have got artificial knees and have had a hip replacement, besides I think there is more nobility in it. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ive seen Nelson V Wolgast and there was at least 8 rounds that I've seen and the pace never let up, apart from one round where the pace slackened, which does fit with the written account I have posted on a thread, and none of the rounds on film I saw were early rounds, I believe they are well past the 20th, and the written account says that those first 10 rounds were frantic. Your comment on Mayweather making the adjustment to 20 rds, may be right,, maybe not, but I do believe that to fight a good fight over 20 rds would take some intelligence,, and a guy would always need a plan A, plan B and a plan C I believe (although Im no expert on 20 or more round fights, who is these days)... nothing anyone can say here would ever convince me that 12 round bouts are better than 15 or 20 round fights,,, I've seen many full 15 rd fights and many of them really started to become exciting... after the 12th. It is very very rare that I see great fights these days on a par with the likes of Louis V Conn.... etc..... so its official,, I ain;t a fan of 12 rd fights... and I hate seeing most of them fizzle out to a decision, I say lets go back to 20 rounders.. at least experiment with it,, as long as both fighters are willing, I think many of todays slicker types may realise that by say the 8th that another 12 rds to go may force them to go for the early route... a KO,...

Comment

Good reading so far im poor enough on the history off the sport so threads like this are an enjoyable substitute to what Floyd had for breakfast or the indentity of Manny's new prostitute

Comment

Working...
          X