Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd retires undefeated having beaten Martinez is he the greatest of the era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Floyd retires undefeated having beaten Martinez is he the greatest of the era?

Let's say Floyd beats Khan, Alvarez, and Martinez at JMW or MW does he retire as the greatest of this era?
    Yes
    70.69%
    No
    29.31%

That's a lot of IF's.

The most likely way I see Floyd's career playing out is this......

Spring 2012: Cotto
    Late 2012: Saul Alvarez (if he beats Kirkland)
    Spring 2013: Amir Khan (if he beats Peterson, and some at WW like the Berto-Ortiz II winner)

Those are givens I think, and those are all good fights.

Now, if I had my way, this is how he'd finish after that:

Late 2013: Sergio Martinez/Manny Pacquiao
    Spring 2014: Sergio or Pac, which ever one you didn't before.
    Late 2014: One of the up-and-coming fighters who keeps on winning (Danny Garcia, Kell Brook, someone like that).

I really doubt it happens though.

But, if Floyd beats Sergio at 154-160, he'd have to be the best of this era, given it's already up for debate. That would seal the deal in all reality. I still doubt that fight happens though.

Comment

He would if he beat Martinez... the other 2 are peanuts compared to beating Sergio.
      If he does that and Pac does nothing significant, I'd say yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
        Let's say Floyd beats Khan, Alvarez, and Martinez at JMW or MW does he retire as the greatest of this era?
        he only need to beat Martinez at 160 for the MW belt(which he will be taking from Jr.) that´s all, Khan? Alvaraez? he dont need those bums..

Comment

Originally posted by nicamarvin View Post
          he only need to beat Martinez at 160 for the MW belt(which he will be taking from Jr.) that´s all, Khan? Alvaraez? he dont need those bums..
          Floyd has to fight someone in Late 2012 though. I have no problem with it being Canelo, if Canelo beats Kirkland. If Canelo does that, a Floyd fight becomes legit.

If Sergio beats Chavez for the WBC MW title, as well as retaining his RING MW title, Floyd should jump all over that. A chance to win a title in 6 weight classes, as well as being the first fighter to ever win titles in 6 weight classes while being undefeated. I still doubt it happens, and if it happened at 154, that's fine by me still.

If Floyd beats Cotto, and Alvarez beats Kirkland, both will easily be #1 and #2 ranked at SWW. And if they fight in December, given that both win, it'll probably be for the Lineal title at SWW. That'd make 4 lineal titles for Floyd, and than if he were actually beat Sergio at MW for the lineal title as well, that'd make 5. Floyd wouldn't need anything after that. I still doubt that all happens though.

I think May 2012 Cotto, December 2012 Canelo, and May/June 2013 Khan is a given, and those are all good fights. The soonest I see Sergio or Manny happening, if this all plays out like this, is Late 2013. I just hope they all keep winning.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
            He would if he beat Martinez... the other 2 are peanuts compared to beating Sergio.
            If he does that and Pac does nothing significant, I'd say yes.
            What would you consider significant for Pacquiao?

Comment

The only fights I see on the horizon for Manny, aside from apossible Floyd fight, are probably......

Brandon Rios/Juan Manuel Marquez, Mike Jones, Andre Berto, and that's about it. Berto could easily be off that list if he loses to Ortiz again, and Mike Jones is nowhere near ready. Once Jones beats Bailey, I hope he gets matched with a Top WW in Oct/Nov 2012. It'd make a Manny fight more legit.

Comment

why don't you simpletons wait for it to actually happen before you speculate about exalting your idol to high heavens

Comment

stop fighting bums... moving up in weight to challenge live boxers..

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
                    The only fights I see on the horizon for Manny, aside from apossible Floyd fight, are probably......

Brandon Rios/Juan Manuel Marquez, Mike Jones, Andre Berto, and that's about it. Berto could easily be off that list if he loses to Ortiz again, and Mike Jones is nowhere near ready. Once Jones beats Bailey, I hope he gets matched with a Top WW in Oct/Nov 2012. It'd make a Manny fight more legit.
                    I totally agree with these Pac scenarios.

The only way Pac will ever usurp Floyd is by beating him. If they don't fight and Floyd beats Martinez, you would have to give Floyd the edge over Pac.

Comment

Working...
                    X