Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexicans/Mexican Americans! How do you feel about Floyd fighting on your holidays?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of a sudden fighting on a "Mexican holiday" is now a problem because Arum said so. Wow lol...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
      The $$$ is in America. He's promoted by an American business.

They want American dollars and American fans supplemented by Mexicans, not the other way around.
      So why would anyone care if that day is occupied by whatever nationality? You raise very good points in your post which am going to leave as of now to see how people view the hypocrisy in this whole saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
        They can alway have those fights in Mexico too.
        This is exactly what I was thinking. And they can televise it exclusively in Mexico if that's the case with ZERO help from US cable markets HBO/SHO. Also they can have a Mexican promoter sell the fight so no help from GB or TR in regards to promotion of the events.

There are enough issues in the world today that separate us as people, we don't need Boxing to be added to the list. Since we all love Boxing the way we do, why not use it at every opportunity to help bring us closer together as people regardless of heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
          Floyd been fighting on those dates for the past 4 years. I didnt see Mexicans complaining then. Mainly because Oscar retired, and there wasn't any true Mexican/Mexican-American to carry the torch, so Floyd took it. Along comes Canelo with a huge fan base and a potential to be pound for pound one of the best, and now all of sudden they got a fighter to carry Cinco de Mayo.

Besides the traditional significance that date holds for Mexicans, it also provides a big weekend for boxing in terms of financial success. Canelo/Cotto could really make a push for 1.5 mill buys if it happens on Cinco de Mayo.
          Or maybe because he was mostly fightng Mexican opponents.

THe reason Arum is hesistant to take this date, s because Canelo isn't going to back down for this date.

I doubt Arum cares about "respecting Mexicans," but business wise, it would take away from the his loot.

Comment

So why would anyone care if that day is occupied by whatever nationality? You raise very good points in your post which am going to leave as of now to see how people view the hypocrisy in this whole saga.
            Just saying most fighter's would fight in their home country if they had a choice, but promoters want to maximize profits and there are more profits in America. No way does GBP make a fight in Mexico City when a fight in Texas or New York or Las Vegas makes way more economical sense.

Marketing a popular Mexican fighter on a Mexican holiday increases profit based on ethnic pride and all that jazz which I don't really care about.

But it really just comes down to money. Pesos vs Dollars.

Arum is a hypocrite, but we already knew that a long time ago.

Comment

All of a sudden fighting on a "Mexican holiday" is now a problem because Arum said so. Wow lol...
              Because Arum knows Canelo is fighting on that date.

Lol Arum don't give a **** about respecting Mexicans he cares about losing money.

Canelo IS NOT going to back down on this date. He won;t... He knows he's a star on hs own, and he's Mexican, and he will not give this date up. Cotto or no Cotto.

Comment

How the **** is Arum blocking the fight, if Floyd won't simply agree to fight a few weeks before, or after?

Seriously? Tell me that.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                  /thread .... A stupid thread at that.

FYI, moronic OP ...... cinco de mayo is a Mexican holiday celebrating the Mexican militia's triumph over the French army. It is celebrated within these United States primarily because of the Mexican population migrating to the states. But it is NOT a US celebration, nor is it a US holiday.
                  It was a simple question you butt hurt f.lomo and a legitimate one. I was trying to see how they feel about it. Now stop getting easily offended and get off Mayweather's nuts. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                    /thread .... A stupid thread at that.

FYI, moronic OP ...... cinco de mayo is a Mexican holiday celebrating the Mexican militia's triumph over the French army. It is celebrated within these United States primarily because of the Mexican population migrating to the states. But it is NOT a US celebration, nor is it a US holiday.
                    As an American of Mexican descent, I agree 100% /thread. It has trouble and ignorance written all over it.

Comment

They can alway have those fights in Mexico too.

And that my friend, exposes just how ridiculous this debate's become.

Comment

Working...
                      X