Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is Winky Wright one of greatest 154lb of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Winky Wright one of greatest 154lb of all time?

I have just watched 7 of Winkys fights the past few days and his skill was crazy. That shell defense was almost impenetrable in his prime. The guy held the great Tito Trinidad to 54 punches landed and 10% through an entire fight that is so crazy that I wouldntve believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. This had me thinking of who the greatest 154 of all time is. This weight wasn't around until 2nd half of the 20th century so the list of fighters isn't that long. The only guy Id have to put in front of him would have to be Tommy Hearns. But Hearns wasn't at 154 all his career like Winky ( Winky didn't move to 160 until 2005 and that's about the time he took long lay offs). I was just curious what u guys thought about this topic.

I havent been able to watch much of Winky Wright but this last week I watched a lot of another great JMW Terry Norris. I was absolutely blown away at his incredible skills. Seemed like he was hampered by a weak chin and being too headstrong. Instead of trying to box guys, which he was great at, he tried to show off those skills and that got him in trouble.

Comment

Hmm, perhaps up there. Only because the division isn't very deep.

The greatest is Mike McCallum followed by Norris and Hearns. Not really sure how the rest would pan out.

Comment

he's great by default lol.he was about as avg a top fighter that you could ever see.the best that division has ever been is right now lol.canelo,trout,lara,angulo,kirkland,ggg,cotto,
        Last edited by r.burgundy; 12-22-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah he was pretty good I don't know about the greatest though. He got smashed up pretty good by 1 guy plus he didn't really have a lot of great comp. He should of moved up to fight Bhop at 160 when they were close to prime

Comment

Winky was a very good fighter. Southpaw, great defence, and very difficult to look good against. Plenty fighters avoided him back in the day. He had to go to Europe to get fights in the mid 90's.

Comment

Simple answer? Yes. One of the top 5 for me.

Comment

Hell Yeah!!!

Comment

I'd like to think so. That dude had a damn good defense.

Comment

I like wright. Met him in Vegas and he shook my hand and said what's up even though he was on the phone.

Comment

Working...
                    X