Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to lean foward so long as you tuck your chin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to lean foward so long as you tuck your chin?

I see manny pacman leaning in all the time to land his point scoring version of the left cross. Or to make sure it lands if the opponent gets out of range.

I know beginners make the mistake of leaning in to try and get power and to get more range and they lean in chin first ie they massively expose their chin leaving it drooping down/ sticking out ready to be knocked out.

But so long as you make sure you tuck your chin, I dont see what the problem is with doing it?

I mean guys lean to the side all the time when they do improper slips, question is do the pros know better than the authors of the textbooks?
    Last edited by AlexKid; 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM.

One of the first things to learn is to!! Bend in the knees and bend in the waist! How much depends on the individual learning balance, movement & comfort! It all has to mesh together.
    Leaning IN is not something an inexperienced fighter should do. As you learn proper technique then you can expand methods! Ray
    Last edited by Ray Corso; 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

thats also why he got knocked out cold by marquez, why williams got slept by martinez.

i mean you can get away with it at times, but you only need to pay for its once in order to get flattened. chin tucked or not if you lean into a punch it will have three times the effect it would otherwise have, there is a reason those guys didnt get up anytime soon.

even if you dont get caught coming in you will get off balance leaving you unable to follow up or defend yourself properly, making you very vulnerable to counters too.

so you should strive to never lean in, but if you just do it slightly you can get away with it especially with the jab. just make sure you dont lean past your front knee unless you brought a bag for your teeth.
      Last edited by #1Assassin; 03-24-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
        thats also why he got knocked out cold by marquez, why williams got slept by martinez.

i mean you can get away with it at times, but you only need to pay for its once in order to get flattened. chin tucked or not if you lean into a punch it will have three times the effect it would otherwise have, there is a reason those guys didnt get up anytime soon.

even if you dont get caught coming in you will get off balance leaving you unable to follow up or defend yourself properly, making you very vulnerable to counters too.

so you should strive to never lean in, but if you just do it slightly you can get away with it especially with the jab. just make sure you dont lean past your front knee unless you brought a bag for your teeth.
        Very sound advice. Greens on the way. Do NOT lean further than your lead knee, loss of balance and exposure are the residual effects of doing so, as well as squaring yourself up to your opponent.

Comment

if your trainer knows how to do it its very affective for us short guys.. tyson was amazing at it... but if your not good at it.. and can't do it with lots of SPEED... your gonna get caught

Comment

I always have my weight in the back foot I look at nonito donaire and the way he is during his fights. Always have his weight in the middle as in the distribution is even front and back. This way I never lean in

Comment

Working...
            X