No announcement yet.

End the combo with a jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End the combo with a jab?

Ive heard it is good to finish off a combo with a jab. I think Angelo Dundee said that it is probably one of the most important things to do. Can anyone explain why?

It creates space particularly after throwing close range hooks and uppercuts. If you're that close to somebody you don't want to exit laterally on nothing. A good opponent will make note if you're satisfied ending a combo on a hook or uppercut and you could run into some deadly traps. Ending it on a jab at least makes the opponent respect you and puts you both back to square #1. If you're in the midst of getting hit with a combo it's hard to counter the jab in the middle of all of that because it's such a fast punch and you can exit out to the left or the right side with the jab.

If you're getting hit with combos you're doing something wrong to begin with because you can only really get tee'd off on like that if you aren't moving. If someone is accurate enough to consistently hit me with combos while I'm dancing, moving my head, and changing my levels up all the props in the world to the opponent for having that kind of accuracy.

If they don't take note and don't react after that jab then it lead to more combo opportunities and mind games.
    Last edited by Biolink; 09-03-2015, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Often times when you attack, if it's against a defensively skilled opponent, not every shot will connect. Your target will be moving and guarding... throwing a jab, right, left hook is good for some opponents, but if only your hook got in and the opponent is attempting to move away, the jab can be a perfect follow up. To either create distance as you reset, or segue into a new sequence of attack.

Comment

Well you really want the last punch of a combo to land so you can cover your escape. A jab at the end is usually good because it is not trying to do too much.

Needs to be a good jab though if you throw a lame jab at the end of a big combo it might just leave you hung out to dry.

Comment

Wow all good points, thanks. I started doing it in sparring and i could see that it makes it easier to move after, and stops my opponent from countering usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw93 View Post
            Ive heard it is good to finish off a combo with a jab. I think Angelo Dundee said that it is probably one of the most important things to do. Can anyone explain why?
            That don't work no more just ask the FloydTards hit on time than get on the bike and perform the same task for 10 to 12 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw93 View Post
              keep them on the defensive as you back out?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                Well you really want the last punch of a combo to land so you can cover your escape. A jab at the end is usually good because it is not trying to do too much.

Needs to be a good jab though if you throw a lame jab at the end of a big combo it might just leave you hung out to dry.
                jab is also a punch that doesnt get you off balance or open.

Comment

Depends on the situation

If you use it moving straight back you'll be a sucker for an over hand right

Its best @ an angle moving outside range or range finder at the end of a combo to blind n reset

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    That don't work no more just ask the FloydTards hit on time than get on the bike and perform the same task for 10 to 12 rounds
                    Actually, if you watch Floyd Sr work the pads he regularly has his boxers end their combinations with a double jab.

Just another example of you not knowing **** about boxing. But you are a Pacquiao fan so this kind of idiocy is to be expected from you guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X