Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did the myth that Maidana is weak to the body start from?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
    nah ortiz never dropped him to the body, all knockdowns were from hooks he didn't see coming.
    I stand corrected

Comment

My mistake, really only Amir and Josesito have hurt him to the body, and Khan's was a picture perfect shot while Josesito is a great body puncher when he lets his hands go.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
        nah ortiz never dropped him to the body, all knockdowns were from hooks he didn't see coming.
        I just watched that fight.

One of those hooks Ortiz landed on Maidana would have ended the night for a lot of fighters.

2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I think it's the typical b-scene mindset. Get dropped from a body shot once or twice in your career? You're weak to the body and a wind gust that hits you knocks you down. Get KO'd once in your career? Glass jaw. Lose 3 times in 25 fights? Journeyman bum. Don't come out of the corner in the 9th round because your left eyeball is hanging out of its socket? Quitter and coward. And so on.
          lmfao that is a 100% accurate with these poster kids

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
            I just watched that fight.

One of those hooks Ortiz landed on Maidana would have ended the night for a lot of fighters.

2nd round.
            hellacious fight. ortiz looked huge for 140 too, don't know how he stayed there for so long.

Comment

I think it's the typical b-scene mindset. Get dropped from a body shot once or twice in your career? You're weak to the body and a wind gust that hits you knocks you down. Get KO'd once in your career? Glass jaw. Lose 3 times in 25 fights? Journeyman bum. Don't come out of the corner in the 9th round because your left eyeball is hanging out of its socket? Quitter and coward. And so on.
              Mike D, beers on me. Maidana isn't soft to the body. He got dropped one time and people make it out to be that he is deathly afraid of body shots. Idiots. The entire lot.

Comment

TRUE.

I know Khan dropped him with a body shot, but he went the distance after getting dropped in the 1st, not too many fighters even get up from a body shot, let alone finish the fight and almost win. Khan dropped him because he was so fast with the body shot, Maidana didn't see it.

Comment

He's not soft to the body but there are other things to pay attention to other than just being dropped. FAcial expressions, what they do when they get hit in the body, do they pull back and look for time to recover, or just walk through them...some guys have tells, for example they might constantly moving their cup around in response trying to get air. How many times are they gasping for air. Can they be stopped in their tracks by body shots... a fight so concerned about getting hit there that he has to take extra effort to defense against body shots that it disrupts their momentum.....I advocate for maidana skills against people who call him a bum, but he does have some of these reactions.

Let's take away allll the knockdowns...let's take the fight where he was completely dominating, embarassing and undressing Broner...even with that sort of cushion....broner little by little was able to battle back into the fight via straight shots to Maidana's body. He even took center of the ring in some stages and started to push him back. Broner had nothing else going but his body work
                  Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 04-12-2015, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Victor,Lopez and Khan... What more do you want? The guy can be hurt to the body.

Comment

Just follow his career, Maidana doesn't respond well to getting touched to the body.

Comment

Working...
                      X