Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Toney's Win Over Jirov Contribute to His Lazziness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Toney's Win Over Jirov Contribute to His Lazziness?

I was thinking earlier about James Toney who is technically very skilled as everyone knows and how great he could have been with more dedication. I then though about why he wasn't dedicated, and maybe the win over Jirov when he made the move up to CW confirmed the needlessness of serious training and total reliance of pure skill in Toney's mind.

Look at it from Toney's point of view he moved up to CW a few fights before Jirov and beats the man at the time at that weight. CW is closer to where he naturally would weigh if he wasn't a boxer anyway. He is eating more and probably not training as hard and what happens? Success!!! So from that point on to Toney that little extra mile is nothing more than an un-necessary task in his mind that he can do without.

He takes it a step further and moves up to HW.
    Toney in the Ruiz fight relies entirely on skill and less on conditioning and hard work and yet again.... success. So why should he bother?

I see the same thing happening right now with Chris Arreola. He is flabby, ppl criticize but he is still unbeaten and still winning most of his fights by ko. The only way he will change his ways and admit to himself that his lifestyle in the profession he is in may be a problem is when negativity comes from it. This will be in the form of a devastating loss......but for now, why should he bother? Comments opinions about Toney, Arreola, and lack of dedication.

Even outta shape, Toney was good enuf to beat some decent HW's. The roid **** ruined the Ruiz title win, and he was robbed blind by Peter the 1st time. I did think he lost the 1st Rahman fight, and it was cuz of bein fat. By the time of the Peter rematch, he was just shot. I think the move to HW gave him complete freedom on the scale, and he let himself go. This combined wit age and many tough fights was his downfall.

Arreola could get in better shape, he just ain't got the will to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
      Even outta shape, Toney was good enuf to beat some decent HW's. The roid **** ruined the Ruiz title win, and he was robbed blind by Peter the 1st time. I did think he lost the 1st Rahman fight, and it was cuz of bein fat. By the time of the Peter rematch, he was just shot. I think the move to HW gave him complete freedom on the scale, and he let himself go. This combined wit age and many tough fights was his downfall.

cosign bro. well said

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post

I think maybe Toney if he could would go back down because he isn't going anywhere at HW, but like you said he is too old and I doubt his body will let him now at the weight he is at.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
          I think maybe Toney if he could would go back down because he isn't going anywhere at HW, but like you said he is too old and I doubt his body will let him now at the weight he is at.
          CW was perfect for him. The Jirov fight was probably his best performance. There just wasn't any $ there and there were more opportunities at HW. Toney coulda cleaned up CW had he stayed there for 1 more yr, which may have given him 2 more fights. He looked ok in 04, but the yr after he was really gettin chunky. I'm a huge Toney fan, which is why the 1st Peter robbery pissed me off, cuz I think he coulda beaten Oleg to get his HW belt before goin out. That woulda been the last decent fight he had in him, and even if he did tank overnight he woulda whooped Oleg.

Comment

I've researched the true reason for Toney's eating habits and I found the answer from this video:

1:00

His mother owned a cake shop! And she was also responsible for Toney's diet...

Comment

I was thinking earlier about James Toney who is technically very skilled as everyone knows and how great he could have been with more dedication. I then though about why he wasn't dedicated, and maybe the win over Jirov when he made the move up to CW confirmed the needlessness of serious training and total reliance of pure skill in Toney's mind.

Look at it from Toney's point of view he moved up to CW a few fights before Jirov and beats the man at the time at that weight. CW is closer to where he naturally would weigh if he wasn't a boxer anyway. He is eating more and probably not training as hard and what happens? Success!!! So from that point on to Toney that little extra mile is nothing more than an un-necessary task in his mind that he can do without.

He takes it a step further and moves up to HW.
              Toney in the Ruiz fight relies entirely on skill and less on conditioning and hard work and yet again.... success. So why should he bother?

I see the same thing happening right now with Chris Arreola. He is flabby, ppl criticize but he is still unbeaten and still winning most of his fights by ko. The only way he will change his ways and admit to himself that his lifestyle in the profession he is in may be a problem is when negativity comes from it. This will be in the form of a devastating loss......but for now, why should he bother? Comments opinions about Toney, Arreola, and lack of dedication.
              he took roids to fight at that pace in CW you ****ing dumbass. how long have you been following boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by kaki View Post
                he took roids to fight at that pace in CW you ****ing dumbass. how long have you been following boxing?
                I'm kind of flattered you decided to look at my profile and dig through old threads I have so you could bump.....next time just PM me.

Comment

I'm kind of flattered you decided to look at my profile and dig through old threads I have so you could bump.....next time just PM me.
                  no need for pm. you're here 24/7 all day everyday. might as well bump the thread.

Comment

It is disappointing James went up and down with his weight and dedication throughout his career, but even with his inconsistency, most agree he was a great fighter, and a shoo in HoFer.

Comment

Working...
                    X