Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to shoulder roll? (let's make an in depth explanation)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to shoulder roll? (let's make an in depth explanation)

Hey,

So basically i want this thread to explain how to use shoulder roll correctly and i need your help.

I boxed for like 1 year a few years ago and now i want to come back into boxing, but this time with more knowledge and passion.

Here is what i know so far about the shoulder roll/philly shell:

1) Left shoulder protects the chin and deflects the "right hand"
    2) The left arm in the shoulder roll stance protects the body/belly.
    3) Right hand blocks left hand and parry's the jab.
    4) Then you just practice it, learn it, stuff like:
    Raising your left's arm elbow to block more, duck with the shoulder roll, lean abit back, etc...

5)Raise your right hand towards the head to block a left hook.

6) And basically if you want to use the shoulder roll each time you need to practice hard, do serious boxer training, running alot and improving your stamina, work on your coordination, work on speed a precision, skip rope, etc....

My questions: orthodox stance+shoulder roll+high guard style

1) When the opponent throws a right hook at me i need to shoulder roll with the left arm and duck? or what?

2) I parry the jab with my right hand each time or are there any other blocks with this stance?

3) When parrying a jab with my right hand do the hand inside the glove should be opened? or fisted? (opened i guess)

4) How do i deal with an aggressive fighter? just mix high guard and work with my footwork?

5) How do i deal with a southpaw?

Floyd Mayweather, Tony, and a few other good boxers are using this technique, watched many videos.

Here's the best sites and videos that i've found about the shoulder roll/philly shell: (can't post links ffs)

Youtube:

3) /watch?v=eVMXonvkGCg

4) /watch?v=qtvZadChYlo

5) /watch?v=2_KMr1JQDK0

6) /watch?v=8LxsL13DLuI

7) /watch?v=bGdC03EhRa4

I skipped a few stuff but if you have something to add like TIPS or suggestions just reply!

Thanks in advance!

This video answers some of your questions.

Also remember that just because you use the shoulder roll that doesn't mean you stop using other defensive techniques like slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Also remember that just because you use the shoulder roll that doesn't mean you stop using other defensive techniques like slipping.
      ^This. TS, if you start focusing on the list of principles you laid out, you're going to be stiff, robotic, and fighting against the whole principle of this style, which is to flow. Look at guys who do it well, they aren't forcing anything, they're watching the opponent's body language and using some predictive movements. If you're thinking about how you are supposed to respond, you've already been hit.

Focus on your basic defense. Something like a shell only works when you have good defensive instincts to begin with and are already moving without thinking about it. If you boxed for a year, get yourself back into it and give it a little time before you start trying to commit to a shell style. It's really just an expansion on standard defensive principles.

Comment

[QUOTE=ShoulderRoll;17125073]This video answers some of your questions.

My reply wasn't posted.
        I've seen that video many times, and ofc slipping is very important.
        But do you have any answers to my questions or any tips?
        Thanks!

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        ^This. TS, if you start focusing on the list of principles you laid out, you're going to be stiff, robotic, and fighting against the whole principle of this style, which is to flow. Look at guys who do it well, they aren't forcing anything, they're watching the opponent's body language and using some predictive movements. If you're thinking about how you are supposed to respond, you've already been hit.

Focus on your basic defense. Something like a shell only works when you have good defensive instincts to begin with and are already moving without thinking about it. If you boxed for a year, get yourself back into it and give it a little time before you start trying to commit to a shell style. It's really just an expansion on standard defensive principles.

Listen, i know that you need to have flow for this technique, but i really think that it's either "you got it" or "you don't got it", i've seen floyd mayweather's fights, he's really fast and he has precision, he's been practicing shoulder roll since he started boxing with his father and uncle, he's actually god gifted!

I really hope that i'll do well on this technique but ofc i'll have to train first on regular defenses like slipping and ducking, and i'll also have to work on my speed/coordination and learn the opponent's body language and movement like you said.
        But my genes are pretty **** so i don't think i'll be that good with speed, coordination, and other stuff....

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Showiz View Post
          B]1) When the opponent throws a right hook at me i need to shoulder roll with the left arm and duck? or what?

2) I parry the jab with my right hand each time or are there any other blocks with this stance?

3) When parrying a jab with my right hand do the hand inside the glove should be opened? or fisted? (opened i guess)

4) How do i deal with an aggressive fighter? just mix high guard and work with my footwork?

5) How do i deal with a southpaw?
          [/B]
          1. You can lift your left glove to the side of your head to block a right hook. You can also bob under it.

The right hook has such a long distance to travel that you can usually see it coming. If you throw a hard, straight jab at your opponent it should get to the target first and throw his hook off. Just be sure to keep your chin down.

2. You can catch the jab in the palm of your glove. You can parry the jab to the inside or parry it to the outside. You can slip the jab. You can do a pull counter off his jab.

Lots of options.

3. Opened.

4. Make him pay for his aggressiveness by defending then countering back hard.

You have to have an airtight defense for this. But if his attacks continuously get thwarted and he keeps getting popped hard when he goes on offense then he will start to become hesitant to throw.

5. I am not that experienced with southpaws.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            1. You can lift your left glove to the side of your head to block a right hook. You can also bob under it.

The right hook has such a long distance to travel that you can usually see it coming. If you throw a hard, straight jab at your opponent it should get to the target first and throw his hook off. Just be sure to keep your chin down.

2. You can catch the jab in the palm of your glove. You can parry the jab to the inside or parry it to the outside. You can slip the jab. You can do a pull counter off his jab.

Lots of options.

3. Opened.

4. Make him pay for his aggressiveness by defending then countering back hard.

You have to have an airtight defense for this. But if his attacks continuously get thwarted and he keeps getting popped hard when he goes on offense then he will start to become hesitant to throw.

5. I am not that experienced with southpaws.

Thanks alot man!

Comment

Thanks alot man!
              Mate, I somehow learned the technique to a level, no one taught me so it took a while and still not so good or good, but I have some to share.

There are two basic ways to protect yourself from a right in this position. First one is by covering/blocking, you bring your arm in the punch's direction to stop it. Basically his punch hits your arm.
              The second one is rolling, you change the incoming punch's direction by touching it from the side and back.
              Do you know when I started to be able to roll?
              That was when I realized the term "shoulder roll" was a big disillusionment! Because you can't roll that right with your "shoulder"! You actually roll it with your upper arm! I mean the part of arm where tricep and bicep located. Watch MAyweather, Toney, George Benton, Niccolino Locche and you'll notice it.
              I realized I wasn't able to roll anything bcz I was trying to roll them with my shoulder which protects my chin. It needs to be called as upper-arm roll.
              Second thing is that you don't roll it to right side, but you lean back and roll it to upwards and to right, change the punch's direction by rolling it upwards and to right. Thats to you won't get tagged each time in the head with rigth. Doing so your head goes away. Watch legends they do just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
                Mate, I somehow learned the technique to a level, no one taught me so it took a while and still not so good or good, but I have some to share.

There are two basic ways to protect yourself from a right in this position. First one is by covering/blocking, you bring your arm in the punch's direction to stop it. Basically his punch hits your arm.
                The second one is rolling, you change the incoming punch's direction by touching it from the side and back.
                That was when I realized the term "shoulder roll" was a big disillusionment! Because you can't roll that right with your "shoulder"! You actually roll it with your upper arm! I mean the part of arm where tricep and bicep located. Watch MAyweather, Toney, George Benton, Niccolino Locche and you'll notice it.
                I realized I wasn't able to roll anything bcz I was trying to roll them with my shoulder which protects my chin. It needs to be called as upper-arm roll.
                Second thing is that you don't roll it to right side, but you lean back and roll it to upwards and to right, change the punch's direction by rolling it upwards and to right. Thats to you won't get tagged each time in the head with rigth. Doing so your head goes away. Watch legends they do just like that.

Yeah i kinda knew that, I've seen many videos about the shoulder roll.
                It's not easy to do, but i know that there are different variations of it.
                Your elbow plays an important part in this technique too, like for example if you're kinda leaned in towards your opponent then let's say he throws a right hand you need to lean back (not too much) and lift your left elbow+shoulder into an up and right direction.

But for real, it's either you got it or not, this requires hard training that improves stamina, coordination, studying movement, move with the "flow" of this technique end etc..
                Watching many videos about it too.

Floyd is the best at it!
                Last edited by Showiz; 10-17-2016, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
                  Says you.........

Comment

Floyd is the best at it!
                    Floyd uses it, but George Benton lives it. Better check out. Also Niccolino Locche (like 120 wins 10 ko s lol)

Comment

Working...
                    X