No announcement yet.

I Respect Wilder's Business

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Respect Wilder's Business

I have seen a few comments that those who appreciate GGG's activity of fighting 3-4 times a year don't appreciate Deontay Wilder's recent activity. I for one, appreciate both.

Clearly boxing changes a lot with each year, much less over several. Fighters now fight about twice a year when they are up high. When Duran was champion in the 1970s, he fought very often, like 4-6 times a year as did Chavez, Sr. in the 1980s. I think this is beneficial as it gives fans a lot of chances to see their fighter. Of course, it also makes for several Youtube videos. Great exposure.

GGG and Wilder are doing what more champions should be doing. I know that activity is not always a fighter's fault as there are other factors. But some champions are taking the easy road on purpose. Wilder and GGG are staying busy and building relevancy. It will pay off in the end.

Wilder isn't building relevancy though

He's actually losing what little he gained by the Stiverne win, against a vastly overrated fighter

I see your point, but GGG is fighting top 10 opposition, Wilder is not

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
      Wilder isn't building relevancy though

He's actually losing what little he gained by the Stiverne win, against a vastly overrated fighter

I see your point, but GGG is fighting top 10 opposition, Wilder is not
      Yes. I wonder if it's him picking or the promoter, though. Either way, I would like to see him step it up also.

Comment

The guys that GGG have been fighting, for the most part, are within the top 10 rankings. Wilder hasn't done any of that since Stiverne.

Comment

Originally posted by Raonic View Post
          The guys that GGG have been fighting, for the most part, are within the top 10 rankings. Wilder hasn't done any of that since Stiverne.
          Well, since he has two defenses under his belt, it's time to step it up. Hopefully he faces a more dangerous opponent next year and stays active.

Comment

The difference is, Wilder fought Stiverne, a fight most here said he'd lose horribly. Golovkin hasn't had a defining or noteworthy fight yet. If Deontay avoids Povetkin in 2016, THEN he's absolutely guilty of not taking worthy challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              The difference is, Wilder fought Stiverne, a fight most here said he'd lose horribly. Golovkin hasn't had a defining or noteworthy fight yet. If Deontay avoids Povetkin in 2016, THEN he's absolutely guilty of not taking worthy challenges.
              The Lemieux fight should be a good one. And then the winner of Cotto-Canelo. Either way, I hope Wilder does meet Povetkin. That will be an edge of your seat fight.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                The Lemieux fight should be a good one. And then the winner of Cotto-Canelo. Either way, I hope Wilder does meet Povetkin. That will be an edge of your seat fight.
                Lemieux isn't even the best, or second best fighter he's faced though. There's just a lot of hype behind him to push the PPV. I have a feeling Genady will never see Canelo or Cotto. There's a good chance they may rematch if the fight is competitive because there's a lot ofmoney in those two fighting. Both are really 154lb fighters and neither have much interest in fighting Golovkin. That leaveshim in his mid 30's in an empty division.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Lemieux isn't even the best, or second best fighter he's faced though. There's just a lot of hype behind him to push the PPV. I have a feeling Genady will never see Canelo or Cotto. There's a good chance they may rematch if the fight is competitive because there's a lot ofmoney in those two fighting. Both are really 154lb fighters and neither have much interest in fighting Golovkin. That leaveshim in his mid 30's in an empty division.
                  Would you favor Jacobs or Quillen over Lemieux?
                  I think Canelo is a middleweight fighting at 155. He's bigger then GGG on fight nights...he likes to fight smaller guys I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                    Would you favor Jacobs or Quillen over Lemieux?
                    I think Canelo is a middleweight fighting at 155. He's bigger then GGG on fight nights...he likes to fight smaller guys I guess.
                    Most certainly, especially Quillen.
                    Regarding Canelo, it really doesn't matter what weight a guy CAN make, it's about what he's comfortable fighting at. If he's bigger, why isn't Genady going down to 154, which is loaded with good fights, and clean up there. Again though, it's about what a guy is comfortable at.

Comment

Working...
                    X