Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF Pernell Whitaker was in the 147 division today..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitaker would beat Mayweather because he would have Mayweather fighting his fight. Floyd knows he cant Box the Southpaw Whitaker from range because he will get outboxed like he did against Judah, what Mayweather would do is try to be more aggressive like he was with all the other Southpaw's he has fought, that is why Pea would win, Pea is better counter punching on the backfoot than Mayweather is as an aggressor.

The worst styles for Mayweather are guys that can make him fight their fight and be the aggressor, thats why he would have trouble with a quality lefty like Whitaker and long range fighters who know how to Box and utilize their height.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
      Very very true. Whitaker's legs were very very strong. He pushed JCC, Oscar, JCV and even Tito around.
      And try to pull people's pants down or pat them on the butt, lol. Remember Whitaker-Nelson?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
        Whitaker would beat Mayweather because he would have Mayweather fighting his fight. Floyd knows he cant Box the Southpaw Whitaker from range because he will get outboxed like he did against Judah, what Mayweather would do is try to be more aggressive like he was with all the other Southpaw's he has fought, that is why Pea would win, Pea is better counter punching on the backfoot than Mayweather is as an aggressor.

The worst styles for Mayweather are guys that can make him fight their fight and be the aggressor, thats why he would have trouble with a quality lefty like Whitaker and long range fighters who know how to Box and utilize their height.
        I see your point man.. i honestly do i like floyd better than pernell
        but i agree.. the only way to beat floyd is to outbox him
        if theres anyone who would qualify for that.. pernell is easily one of the few

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar man View Post
          And try to pull people's pants down or pat them on the butt, lol. Remember Whitaker-Nelson?
          Yeah, I have most of that on my external. Cardona may have not been all that but that is one of my favorite fights to watch.
          Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 12-03-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illmatickid View Post
            I see your point man.. i honestly do i like floyd better than pernell
            but i agree.. the only way to beat floyd is to outbox him
            if theres anyone who would qualify for that.. pernell is easily one of the few
            I see it differently, Whitaker doesn't have the hand speed or power of Judah but overall he is the MUCH better fighter of course. I see Mayweather winning on the outside and Whitaker on the inside. I'm with Ex, could go either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar man View Post
              Nelson looked like he figured Whitaker out late, and seemed to be landing at will late.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                Nelson looked like he figured Whitaker out late, and seemed to be landing at will late.
                He did better late in the fight because he started to get more physical. He let Whitaker control him too much early on.

Comment

I don't see anybody 'beating' a prime whitaker, not even mayweather. just a pure defensive genious. But some people may take a decision from him just by pure punch output and looking good in the ring. It's possible the only ones who could take out whitaker might be crazies like Mayorga. A free-swing wild-punching unpredictable dude like that could catch sweet-pea by accident, and KO him.

Comment

mayweather beats pernell convincingly also---pernell was not a better counter puncher thn floyd---floyd countered from more feinting angles making his punches that much more effective than pea's--who had grat upperbody movement, with simple counters---floyd could also block a punch and counter it---off of the ropes or in the middle of the ring----pernell didn't----floyd fought better inside defensively/offensively also---i have broken this fight down many times before so i'll end it hear, but mayweather beats pernell---pernell wasn't a complete fighter---floyd is----

Comment

Sweet Pea's defense was just as good as Floyd's, but Pernell was much flashier. He was really fun to watch!

Comment

Working...
                      X