No announcement yet.

Another big reason why Showtime >> HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another big reason why Showtime >> HBO

HBO are so incessantly negative. Every damn fight, especially when Max is there, they veer from the fight into a dissection of the state of boxing, drawing power, fighters ducking other fighters, etc. There's just this constant cloud of negativity at every fight.

Last night, Max was going on and on about the decline of Gamboa - "where is the old exciting Gamboa"? - oh right. The one who used to **** on for his apparent defensive deficiencies and recklessless, Max?

Then he kept mentioning Gamboa's (lack of) drawing power.

In the Saul/Hatton fight, they kept bringing up that Hatton was over-matched. Yeah Max, we know that. Maybe if you keep re-iterating it, you will push away every casual fan.

Contrast that with Cotto/Mayorga (a fight I also wasn't particularly fond of) - but hey, at least the Showtime team sounded like they wanted to be there and actually stuck to commentating on the ****ing actual fight. The only HBO moment was when Tyson piped up () Just commentate on the damn fight, FFS.

It's been like this for a while. Every recent fight on HBO becomes a dissection on the ills of boxing. On the inadequacies of the boxers fighting. I'm not saying we should hide from issues - I maintain boxing is the worst run sport in the world - but goddamn, ease up on that ****.

I guess it's a reflection on the state of both the networks - Showtime are on the up and up, whereas HBO are faltering right now.

Thoughts?

Good post.

HBO does go overboard with the negative ****, it's the worst on PPV under cards. A lot of times they ain't even paying attention to the fight and just bull****ting about other random stuff.

You are right that SHO doesn't do that, they usually just focus on the fight and seem very enthusiastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Syd Barrett
      He obviously wants the old Gamboa back...by ''Old Gamboa'' he means the reckless version of Gamboa without footwork and intelligence in offense and defense. Typical HBO ******s.

I'm glad Gamboa is slowly calming his hurricaneish type of fighting down, it usually wears a fighter out throwing too many punches.
      I just don't get it. I mean, sure he didn't look majorly stellar for a few fights but it's not like it was a huge decline. Even this restrained, smarter Gamboa is one of the most exciting fighters around.

Comment

OP hits it right on the button.

Comment

I'd rather they give their negative opinions then just say positive crap written for them

Comment

Any opinions regarding the legitimacy of a particular fight should be expressed in the build up coverage. Commentators should concentrate on the action, and not talk too much about the politics involved in any said fight.

Kellerman is the worst for negativity, and I think it drags the HBO broadcast down.

Comment

they should revamp boxing after dark. Entire new commentators, new presentation, maybe make it more youthful (you know the youth of today all have ADD and can't focus on talking for 20-30 minutes between fights).

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
                Good post.

HBO does go overboard with the negative ****, it's the worst on PPV under cards. A lot of times they ain't even paying attention to the fight and just bull****ting about other random stuff.

You are right that SHO doesn't do that, they usually just focus on the fight and seem very enthusiastic.
                Exactly, man. I've actually reached the point now where I hope fights are on SHO instead of HBO.

SHO have been awesome for a while. Tarver has been a great addition to the commentary team (tbf to HBO, RJJ is pretty awesome too) and they just build upon the sense of excitement the fans have pre-fight. Whereas HBO are more likely to put a pin in your balloon.

Max needs to STFU and commentate on the fight act like he actually wants to be there.

My only worry about SHO is that with Pac vs Mosley, they don't lose sight of what has made them great; making terrific match-ups that the true boxing fans appreciate, and not just "events" like HBO seem to be built on.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  I'd rather they give their negative opinions then just say positive crap written for them
                  Hardcore fans like you and me will watch a fight regardless of whatever the **** Max is saying.

But imagine a casual fan tuning, who hears Max crap on the fight, the fighters, the attendance, etc. Would you watch a sport you were casually interested in in if the commentary team were negative right from the start?

I get what you're saying about being honest. But SHO honestly do not sound like it's a contrived, forced act. They just genuinely sound like they wanna be there. And that makes a big difference.
                  Last edited by Porter's Dad; 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NutsInTheyFace View Post
                    Hardcore fans like you and me will watch a fight regardless of whatever the **** Max is saying.

But imagine a casual fan tuning, who hears Max crap on the fight, the fighters, the attendance, etc. Would you watch a sport you were casually interested in in if the commentary team were negative right from the start?

I get what you're saying about being honest. But SHO honestly do not sound like it's a contrived, forced act. They just genuinely sound like they wanna be there. And that makes a big difference.
                    I think you are right and it's a good point. I appreciate HBO being candid but sometimes go way too far where it's like they aren't even enjoying announcing a world class level boxing match. We get it, there is a ton of bullshit in boxing now (just like the past 200 years). Tell us about the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X