Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Juan Manuel Marquez and Winky Wright: The 2 most robbed fighters in the 00's???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Manuel Marquez and Winky Wright: The 2 most robbed fighters in the 00's???

Are Marquez and Wright the 2 most robbed or slighted fighters in the 00's???

Marquez' has 6 losses on his record and a draw. 2 to Pacquiao, 1 to John, 1 to Norwood, 1 to Mayweather, and 1 DQ in his first bout ever, as well as 1 draw with Pacquiao. One could easily make the argument that the only real losses Marquez has is the loss to Mayweather and his DQ during his first bout ever.

Marquez clearly won the Norwood and John fights to me, as well as the 2nd Pacquiao fight. I don't see how any can realistically debate those 3. The other really questionable fight with JMM was the 3rd Pac fight obviously. I initially scored the fight a draw, and having watched it multiple times since, it could have gone either way. As far as the draw with Pac, I scored the fight for Manny by 1 point. JMM won more rounds, but the 3 knockdowns won Manny the fight to me. Either way, Marquez has 3 fights with Manny Pacquiao, as well as fights with Freddie Norwood and Chris John where many feel he was robbed or slighted.

Wright clearly won the Simon fight, as well as the Jermain Taylor fight. The Fernando Vargas fight was close, but watching the fight I thought Winky controlled most of the action and landed the more effective punches, as did most. Wright lost to Vasquez early on, and did lose to Hopkins at 170, though I thought it was closer than the scorecards indicated. And he did lose to Williams coming out of retirement bascially. That still leaves the fights with Simon, Vargas, and Taylor where most felt Winky Wright was robbed. The Vargas and Taylor wins would have added a lot to Wright's legacy.

Do you feel these 2 guys are the most slighted/robbed fighters in the 00's??? Or is there some other guys you feel have been more slighted???

Marquez wasn't really robbed in most his close losses though, the only fights people really agree on are the third Pacquiao fight, which I disagree with, and the John fight. I don't think I've ever seen the Norwood fight.

Winky/Taylor was close, I gave it to Winky but I can understand the other way. Vargas I thought Winky beat.

I'm sure there are lesser fighters that have been robbed worse and more blatantly. It wasn't the '00s, but Campillo for example.

Comment

Gabriel Campillo

Comment

Glen Johnson

Comment

Campillo was a good one as well. I thought JMM was robbed the 2nd Pacquiao fight, I thought that was more clear than the 3rd fight, which I scored a draw initially.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
            Are Marquez and Wright the 2 most robbed or slighted fighters in the 00's???

Marquez' has 6 losses on his record and a draw. 2 to Pacquiao, 1 to John, 1 to Norwood, 1 to Mayweather, and 1 DQ in his first bout ever, as well as 1 draw with Pacquiao. One could easily make the argument that the only real losses Marquez has is the loss to Mayweather and his DQ during his first bout ever.

Marquez clearly won the Norwood and John fights to me, as well as the 2nd Pacquiao fight. I don't see how any can realistically debate those 3. The other really questionable fight with JMM was the 3rd Pac fight obviously. I initially scored the fight a draw, and having watched it multiple times since, it could have gone either way. As far as the draw with Pac, I scored the fight for Manny by 1 point. JMM won more rounds, but the 3 knockdowns won Manny the fight to me. Either way, Marquez has 3 fights with Manny Pacquiao, as well as fights with Freddie Norwood and Chris John where many feel he was robbed or slighted.

Wright clearly won the Simon fight, as well as the Jermain Taylor fight. The Fernando Vargas fight was close, but watching the fight I thought Winky controlled most of the action and landed the more effective punches, as did most. Wright lost to Vasquez early on, and did lose to Hopkins at 170, though I thought it was closer than the scorecards indicated. And he did lose to Williams coming out of retirement bascially. That still leaves the fights with Simon, Vargas, and Taylor where most felt Winky Wright was robbed. The Vargas and Taylor wins would have added a lot to Wright's legacy.

Do you feel these 2 guys are the most slighted/robbed fighters in the 00's??? Or is there some other guys you feel have been more slighted???

marquez is a good one, but the first two pacquiao fights were far too close to be called a robbery in my opinion

if a case can be made for either guy it's never a robbery

the third fight in my opinion is 8-4 or even 9-3 for marquez. that was a robbery. very few, if any outside of the judges scored that fight for pacquiao.

i've never seen the simon fight (and i've tried very hard to get the footage, so if you know where i can find it i'd love a link,) but the newspaper/media accounts and the testimony i've heard have mostly reflected another close fight.

the taylor fight was close, but i've found most people to favor winky. what a fight that was.

glen johnson deserves a mention.

he's had plenty of questionable decisions. he thinks he's won every fight he's ever been in, lol! (other than hopkins of course, and there are plenty of real L's in the other 15 that went the distance)

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
              Campillo was a good one as well. I thought JMM was robbed the 2nd Pacquiao fight, I thought that was more clear than the 3rd fight, which I scored a draw initially.
              In the 2nd fight?How many round do you give to Marquez??7?8?
              Marquez was dropped once

Comment

Originally posted by Eaner0919 View Post
                Glen Johnson

yup ^

he strung a few robberies together in the early 2000's

Comment

Lucas Mathysse

Comment

Marquez started getting robbed in the 90's.
                    The worst was the John fight, it wasn't even a close fight at all. Even with the 2 points deducted from JMM, he won the fight my a 3 point margin IMO. Then worst decision he got Pacquiao Marquez 3. Mayweather was the only fighter to decisively beat Marquez. All of his other losses have been relatively close fights that I wouldn't call robberies.

Comment

Working...
                    X