Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto vs Canelo: Why the big push for it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make the fight.. its a toss up for me know at 154 but at 160 i think canelo will be weighing fight night at 180 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
      **** the detractors! Ive hated on victories myself. You'll never be able to convince me that Martinez knees weren't shot since the end of the Chavez fight and that Roach is not opportunist. That said Cotto did look phenomenal, I dont think he has the chin or power to stop GGG so make the money fights. Canelo and Mayweather are big money fights. Canelo would do a 50/50 or maybe even a 60/40 in Cottos favor. Mayweather will be the prima donna he always is in negotiations. So **** Money and fight Canelo.
      It wasnt just his knees. His punch resistance was shot at the end of that fight too.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        It wasnt just his knees. His punch resistance was shot at the end of that fight too

Watch out we have a nsb professional boxing trainer

Comment

Duh, this fight is ripe right now.

Canelo is having trouble making 154 and is not a huge dude, Cotto just got a title.

It is not going to get any better than this for the timing of a fight that should happen.

Comment

Fight would be huge....bigger than if they made it b4 if Canelo beats lara

Just think how real da fight poster would be!!!! im in big event/ fun fight

Comment

Originally posted by AP***9824; View Post

Watch out we have a nsb professional boxing trainer
              Watch out, we have a cotto nut rider who happens to be the nsb sniffer police!

Comment

[QUOTE]
                Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post

With a Canelo win - Cons
                -Cotto's been washed up - big deal
                -He's not the legit champion until he fights GGG
                -He only looks good against washed up fighters - where was he against Floyd?
                Cotto is washed up after this masterful performance?
                What does GGG have to do with this specific match up?
                He went 12 rounds with Floyd and while lost, he showed he's at an elite level. He wasn't beat up by Floyd the way Ortiz and Guerrero were, not even close.

With a Canelo loss
                -He's a Broner level hypejob - still
                -No matter what he does in the future - he'll never be good enough - losing to 2 past prime, aging fighters
                Who in their right mind says he's a hype job like Broner?
                There is no shame to losing to Cotto and Mayweather.

With a Cotto win - Cons
                -No glory; Canelo was already undressed and exposed by Floyd
                -He was still young and inexperienced
                -Not defending against a true MW
                -Where's GGG?
                ?????? what does FLoyd have to do with Canelo
                That may be true
                Again, this is an argument for the appeal of this specific fight, has nothing to do with GGG

With a Cotto loss
                -Confirms that he's washed up - time to retire
                -Martinez fight was a fluke
                Cotto just beat the linear 160 champ with ease.
                A fluke for 9 rounds? LOL

I see this fight as a lose lose for both participants and really nothing to be gained, other than a boatload of cash for both fighters - but that does nothing for us, so who cares. It's not a legacy fight for Cotto, which is what he should be gunning for now unless Rubio comes bring legal heat. So Cotto should only be looking at GGG and Floyd. Those should be his end cap fights. Not be a stepping stone for a young gun which is what I see this as.
                Cash is what makes boxing, it's a business if you didn't know. Also it could possibly give us a fantastic fight.

Just because Ward and Gatti weren't pound for pound the best fighters in boxing at the time, don't you think that was a great fight? Sometimes it has nothing to do with legacy, and it's just a great fight.

Canelo should be carving out his own history at this point and looking at continuing to fight guys amongst 'his' generation. Keep fighting quality guys like Lara and Trout. Build his career fighting guys in his class, both in division age and skill set. He went up against Floyd and got undressed in embarrassing fashion. Since then - he has one good win in his career, against Trout. He'll get another win imo against Lara. Otherwise, he's feasted on really washed up guys like Cintron, Baldomir, Mosley and Angulo. If he were to lose against not necessarily a washed up guy - but definintely a past prime guy like Cotto - you'd have to question him in his entirety.
                Now Cotto is washed up? WTF? Young fighters can't fight older vets? Some of the greatest fights in the history of boxing comprise of those fights.

I just don't see the point to be honest - other than have a war of nations on NSB that'll surely be the most annoying thing ever. It does nothing to enhance either fighter's legacy.

Agree or disagree - I am interested in why there is such a big push. I rather each just go different directions
                You don't see the point in two super mega stars fighting in a sport where we rarely ever get that because of the corruption of the promoter system?

Really? You don't see the financial implications, the great style match up this is on paper, the Mexico vs PR slant and the fact we could possibly just see an amazing fight?

I don't know if your original post was trolling, ignorant, naive, or all of the above. This IS the fight for Cotto, and they been planning this all along. It's his biggest payday, gives him leverage at the negotiating table and can give the fans a fantastic fight.

I don't see how this fight DOESN'T make sense!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                  I can certainly see the appeal of this type of matchup. It's a passing of the torch type of fight. From one latino star - to the next. It's a "classic" Mexico vs Puerto Rico fight. It's old vs new but at the end of the day, the only beneficiary of post fight accolades would be for Canelo - not Cotto.

With a Canelo win - Cons
                  -Cotto's been washed up - big deal
                  -He's not the legit champion until he fights GGG
                  -He only looks good against washed up fighters - where was he against Floyd?

With a Canelo loss
                  -He's a Broner level hypejob - still
                  -No matter what he does in the future - he'll never be good enough - losing to 2 past prime, aging fighters

With a Cotto win - Cons
                  -No glory; Canelo was already undressed and exposed by Floyd
                  -He was still young and inexperienced
                  -Not defending against a true MW
                  -Where's GGG?

With a Cotto loss
                  -Confirms that he's washed up - time to retire
                  -Martinez fight was a fluke

I see this fight as a lose lose for both participants and really nothing to be gained, other than a boatload of cash for both fighters - but that does nothing for us, so who cares. It's not a legacy fight for Cotto, which is what he should be gunning for now unless Rubio comes bring legal heat. So Cotto should only be looking at GGG and Floyd. Those should be his end cap fights. Not be a stepping stone for a young gun which is what I see this as.

Canelo should be carving out his own history at this point and looking at continuing to fight guys amongst 'his' generation. Keep fighting quality guys like Lara and Trout. Build his career fighting guys in his class, both in division age and skill set. He went up against Floyd and got undressed in embarrassing fashion. Since then - he has one good win in his career, against Trout. He'll get another win imo against Lara. Otherwise, he's feasted on really washed up guys like Cintron, Baldomir, Mosley and Angulo. If he were to lose against not necessarily a washed up guy - but definintely a past prime guy like Cotto - you'd have to question him in his entirety.

I just don't see the point to be honest - other than have a war of nations on NSB that'll surely be the most annoying thing ever. It does nothing to enhance either fighter's legacy.

Agree or disagree - I am interested in why there is such a big push. I rather each just go different directions
                  The big push? Because some people like to cry. It goes great with a cold beer and the sound of trumpets.

Comment

Working...
                  X