No announcement yet.

harder left hook. morrison or cooney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harder left hook. morrison or cooney?

I know neither were great fighters but they both had tremendous power in there left hooks. who's was harder? I think morrisons was quicker and shorter but cooney's was heavier and a bit more powerful and he would double and triple up on it better. a shame neither quite lived up to the hype as they were exciting fighters to watch

Pretty much the way you described them. I would also add that Morrison appeared to have more pop in his left hook. A very similar comparison to Tyson and Foreman's punches.

Comment

They both feasted on past prime opposition.. Cooney's best wins were over Young, Lyle and Norton. All past prime, shopworn guys. Morrison did the same to past prime Tillis and Thomas, and past prime Rudduck. So they both beat up past prime guys.

Cooney seemed to be the heavier puncher, but Morrison had the more explosive power, if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
        They both feasted on past prime opposition.. Cooney's best wins were over Young, Lyle and Norton. All past prime, shopworn guys. Morrison did the same to past prime Tillis and Thomas, and past prime Rudduck. So they both beat up past prime guys.

Cooney seemed to be the heavier puncher, but Morrison had the more explosive power, if that makes sense.
        Well that definitely answers OP's question.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
          Pretty much the way you described them. I would also add that Morrison appeared to have more pop in his left hook. A very similar comparison to Tyson and Foreman's punches.
          good point and comparison

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
            Well that definitely answers OP's question.
            It's funny how their careers parallel eachother. Morrison and Cooney were both labeled Great White Hopes. They were both very hard punchers. They both had vulnerable chins. They both got knocked out when they stepped up in class. I tend to think Morrison was the better fighter overall because he did have more than a left hook.

Comment

yea,,,neither guy was able to get that big defining win. morrison had foreman to an extent but big george was 44 yrs old and seemed so passive in that fight. I really loved watching them crank those hooks tho. I also agree with your last sentence

Comment

It's funny how their careers parallel eachother. Morrison and Cooney were both labeled Great White Hopes. They were both very hard punchers. They both had vulnerable chins. They both got knocked out when they stepped up in class. I tend to think Morrison was the better fighter overall because he did have more than a left hook.
                yea,they did both have similiar careers to an extent. I remember morrison saying he felt cooney was one dimensional and that he was a more complete fighter. he probably was the better 2 fisted fighter and probably had more heart but my gut tells me that cooney would stop morrison early. tough call tho

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                  yea,they did both have similiar careers to an extent. I remember morrison saying he felt cooney was one dimensional and that he was a more complete fighter. he probably was the better 2 fisted fighter and probably had more heart but my gut tells me that cooney would stop morrison early. tough call tho
                  Im also curious to how morrsion would have dealt with the big george that demolished cooney. foreman was a little younger and seemed quicker in that fight. I also remember cooney wobbling george pretty good before he got kayoed. dont recall morrsion ever hurting george in there fight

Comment

I remember Foreman saying that nobody ever hit him harder than Cooney did with the left hook. Seeing as Foreman shared 12 round with Morrison I'd lean towards Cooney having the advantage here.

Comment

Working...
                    X