Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bicep wouldn't flex. should i worry about it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bicep wouldn't flex. should i worry about it?

last night, i did a million reps of bicep curls until my biceps were dead tired and couldn't do a single rep anymore and afterwards i started shadow boxing. my punches were incredibly slow even though i was putting all my remaining energy into throwing it as fast as possible. it felt really weird but in a way i liked the feeling so i kept throwing.

i didn't realize anything was wrong until an hour later when i tried to flex my right bicep. it wouldn't flex. it just stayed limp and didn't contract. i didn't feel any pain so i just put some ice on it and went to bed.

this morning my bicep feels normal and contracting again. but i notice a slight dent. it's barely noticeable but i know i didnt have it before.

anyone experience this before and should i be worry about it?

Originally posted by Pez View Post
    last night, i did a million reps of bicep curls until my biceps were dead tired and couldn't do a single rep anymore and afterwards i started shadow boxing. my punches were incredibly slow even though i was putting all my remaining energy into throwing it as fast as possible. it felt really weird but in a way i liked the feeling so i kept throwing.

i didn't realize anything was wrong until an hour later when i tried to flex my right bicep. it wouldn't flex. it just stayed limp and didn't contract. i didn't feel any pain so i just put some ice on it and went to bed.

this morning my bicep feels normal and contracting again. but i notice a slight dent. it's barely noticeable but i know i didnt have it before.

Yea, I've felt this sort of thing. It can take quite a few days to heal in some cases. You may have a slight tear.

I'd recommend rest and a fairly high protein intake to help repair.

For the future, remember......if you are training regularly (daily or every other day) you really don't need to 'burn out' on a certain exercise. That can take away from your physicality rather than add to it. It can result in an 'overtraining' syndrome that will not benefit you.

If you are wanting to build your biceps, 3 x sets of 6-10 reps every third day will do the trick for as long as the last two or three reps are pretty tough for each set.

If you want to build bicep stamina why not do one set of say 50 reps with a light weight? If this is easy up the weight until say the last few reps are difficult. Again, you just need to do this every third day to see improvement.

No need to kill your biceps on one session, it'll just ruin the rest of your week's training.

Comment

its possible its lactic acid build up (or what people think is lactic acid. lactic acid dosnt exist as a thing, but during lactic energy production byproducts are produced which stop the muscle contracting)

Comment

i don't usually overtrain like that but i was curious to see how far i could push my arms. i won't do this again. it gave me a little scare to be honest, i thought i was going to need surgery.

thanks for the info, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
          but i notice a slight dent. it's barely noticeable but i know i didnt have it before.

That slight dent is a muscle spasm...you need to do acupressure type deep massage to release that because it will affect your blood flow in the area...which will cause local atrophy...pain and weakness. I'd say you were over doing it and don't work the bicep now until you fully recover. Continual break-down of tissue without proper time to rebuild has negative results.
          Last edited by jaded; 12-03-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Doing a million bicep curls isn't going to help you make them stronger. Typically speaking, single joint exercises aren't really all that great unless you're doing hte specific bodypart being worked is really lagging behind or for rehabilitation purposes. Pull-ups/Chin-ups, Inverted Rows, Deadlifts and Bent Over Rows will do alot more for your biceps than curls and in boxing working your body as parts rather than a unit is going to hurt, not help.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
              That slight dent is a muscle spasm...you need to do acupressure type deep massage to release that because it will affect your blood flow in the area...which will cause local atrophy...pain and weakness. I'd say you were over doing it and don't work the bicep now until you fully recover. Continual break-down of tissue without proper time to rebuild has negative results.
              really? i have one too and i have never noticed any problems. should i get it checked out?

Comment

If you''re unable to straighten the arm I had the same problem, it goes away in 2-3 days.

Comment

Working...
                X