Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing matches/fighters that belong on a network like Fox?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing matches/fighters that belong on a network like Fox?

Some fighters, e.g. Cris Arreola/Kimbo Slice, belong on some network like Fox. Fighters with high entertainment value, but low actual skill, ability, likelihood of defeating the top fighter in their division (odds that Arreola or Kimbo Slice ever even coming close to beating a Klitchko?), r still entertaining as hell would bring in casual fans.

Also, fights that actually do involve fighters with serious talent, e.g. Brandon Rios, Amir Khan, etc, whenever they r scheduled for a fight that no hardcore boxing fan really cares about, or against an opponent no one thinks has a chance should end up on network television. Khan vs Judah, for example, was a fight most boxing fans already knew the outcome of. That could have been on Fox or whatever. Khan is entertaining enough by himself. So is Rios. So is Gamboa, Salido, and Lopez, guys like that.

Since even these fighters' most highly touted fights aren't PPV worthy yet (at least in the US) their "crappy" fights don't belong on HBO or Showtime. It would be a great way to introduce casual fans to the top up and coming talents of the sport, and get the fighters that deserve more recognition their just do

And finally, no [potentially] BORING FIGHTS/FIGHTERS.... EVER!!!

Guys like Devon Alexander and Tim Bradley, and fights like Devon Alexander vs Tim Bradley, do not belong on network television EVER... Fighters like this r only to be appreciated/seen by hardcore fans that can respect the skill used, or more fairly criticize the lack there of. I know putting them on HBO and Showtime sounds more like glorifying them, but it should more properly be depicted as "hiding" them from casual fans...

Anyway, that's what I think should happen. Tell me what u think.

lol @ chris arreola and kimbo slice. Kimbo already failed on primetime network TV. Arreola is kind of embarrassing for boxing tbh. I'd hide him from the general public.

Anyways, there are tons of guys that are great for TV. Problem is promoters and fighters only look at short term money. Why try to make a deal on say, CBS, when you can make 20X that amount on PPV?

It works with UFC because UFC is one big organization. They own their fighter; they do as they say.

Boxing is a giant clusterfuck of promoters, managers, personal advisers, corrupt organizations like the wbc/wba/etc, etc etc...

The only way I could see this working for boxing, is if let's say the top promoters like top rank, golden boy, dibella, shaw, king, all came to an agreement with a network, like CBS, in which they would have their fighters up against eachother. In the LONG run it would payoff. But again, everyone just looks at the short term in boxing. I mean just look at pavlik, he wouldn't fight an easy fight for $75k in order to make $1.3+ million. Short term, short term, short term.

Comment

If boxing promoters ever get the sport back on network TV they will run it into the ground in no time with terrible fights, and after it fails they will blame the sports lack of popularity.

The only thing that could work regardless of the competition is either JCC Jr or Alvarez because of the latino community. Anything outside that will take serious money and promotional push and HBO will always pay more then network TV.

Comment

Originally posted by JDezi4 View Post
        Some fighters, e.g. Cris Arreola/Kimbo Slice, belong on some network like Fox. Fighters with high entertainment value, but low actual skill, ability, likelihood of defeating the top fighter in their division (odds that Arreola or Kimbo Slice ever even coming close to beating a Klitchko?), r still entertaining as hell would bring in casual fans.

Also, fights that actually do involve fighters with serious talent, e.g. Brandon Rios, Amir Khan, etc, whenever they r scheduled for a fight that no hardcore boxing fan really cares about, or against an opponent no one thinks has a chance should end up on network television. Khan vs Judah, for example, was a fight most boxing fans already knew the outcome of. That could have been on Fox or whatever. Khan is entertaining enough by himself. So is Rios. So is Gamboa, Salido, and Lopez, guys like that.

Since even these fighters' most highly touted fights aren't PPV worthy yet (at least in the US) their "crappy" fights don't belong on HBO or Showtime. It would be a great way to introduce casual fans to the top up and coming talents of the sport, and get the fighters that deserve more recognition their just do

And finally, no [potentially] BORING FIGHTS/FIGHTERS.... EVER!!!

Guys like Devon Alexander and Tim Bradley, and fights like Devon Alexander vs Tim Bradley, do not belong on network television EVER... Fighters like this r only to be appreciated/seen by hardcore fans that can respect the skill used, or more fairly criticize the lack there of. I know putting them on HBO and Showtime sounds more like glorifying them, but it should more properly be depicted as "hiding" them from casual fans...

Anyway, that's what I think should happen. Tell me what u think.
        Gamboa and Lopez
        Hopkins Dawson and Pascal Cloud
        Gary Russell next few fights
        And should it happen Tim Bradley v. Manny. IMO a perfect TV fight. An household name versus a virtual unknown.

Comment

I personally hate the term "tv friendly" fighter asthat translates loosely into, "slugger, no defense, limited skills, can either knockout or be knocked out".

I do think you make a point though but I think part of the problem is this. Boxing is one of the FEW sports (and I'm speaking from the US/Stateside of things) where you really can't follow rise of a fighter casually. I think even if you're a hard-core fan you can't follow the rise of guys because a lot of amateur stuff isn't televised.

That said, I think what happens is the average viewing fan doesn't know how to recognize or appreciate a skilled boxer. IMO you have these levels of fighters.

Poor- These are guys who not only aren't in shape but probably were picked up from the latest tough man contest. Examples.. None other than KIMBO Slice and the guy who he was fighting.

Fair- They understand how to pace themselves, can throw most punches and they do actually train. They can be entertaining and if they're more active or have punching power, they "CAN" beat a guy with a higher skill level.. Examples..

Decent/Good - This is a wide category and a lot of boxers fall in here. These are guys who do one thing good but may have other holes. These are also guys may have been "very good" or are vets that are now shop worn. Examples are "Gatekeeper guys (Zab Judah, Vivian Harris, Chop Chop Corley), Pavlik, etc...

Very Good- IMO these are the guys STRICTLY that should be on the premium networks. These are guys who do MULTIPLE things good.

Elite/Excellent - IMO there's less than 10 of these in the sport. These are guys who not only do multiple things good, they do them EXCELLENT. They also have the ability to make a "Very Good" fighter look like a "good" or "fair" fighter.

Examples.. Money, Pac, Martinez, Klitchko, Donaire, Hopkins, Ward, etc.

If more casual fans KNEW how to grade fighters, the networks would know how to match up or choose fighters. Frankly more often than not, a lot of match-making deals more with how a fighter "draws".

I will say this though, ESPN's FRIDAY night FIGHTS this year has been more entertaining than HBOs fights.

Comment

One more thing. You have a fighter like Tim Bradley. Skilled (especially if you include his "head" lol), young/prime, but UNKNOWN completely outside of the "hardcore" boxing world.

He would do himself a big favor or should I say his promoters (whomever they are now) if they would have him fight on FREE TV just for the sake of getting his name OUT THERE.

Nowadays, promoters IMO don't know how to build a fighters name. IT used to be with plenty of tv vehicles this was possible. I would be ok, with a rising guy like Bradley fighting, "fair/good" guys on FREE tv.

Comment

Brandon Rios is the first to come to mind.

You need guys with charisma and excitement on regular TV. I think Khan could become a big crossover success here.

What I would like to see is a live reality show following the 2012 squad of boxers heading into the Olympics. I think a lot of people could get into that.

Comment

Jesus Kimbo does not deserve to be mentioned with Areolla.

Comment

anybody watch FNF i believe that's network TV...??

Kimbo in the same sentence as Arreola WTF.. are you guys boxing fans or fa&s..
                  Last edited by GreatestIam; 08-19-2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hebi View Post
                    Brandon Rios is the first to come to mind.
                    Came here to post this.

A fight like Rios-Katsidis being on network TV would go a LONG way towards bringing back fans to the sport. Pretty much can't go wrong with putting Mexican warriors on display in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X