Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 best Latin American fighters of all time. Curious thing is that...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to those in the know, where does the cocoa kid rank on a top latin fighters of all time?

Comment

It's pretty clear for me actually.

1. Duran
      2. Monzon
      3. Jofre
      4. Chavez SR
      5. Gavilan

I certainly don't rate Gavilan over Chavez Sr. Feel free to try and sway me though.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonTheMeh View Post
        to those in the know, where does the cocoa kid rank on a top latin fighters of all time?

1. Duran
        2. Monzon
        3. Jofre
        4. Chavez SR
        5. Gavilan

Then we have guys like Napoles, Arguello, Olivares, Sanchez, Saldivar, Ortiz, Manuel Rodriguez, Gomez, Ramos, Delahoya, Barrera, Morales, Zarate, Benitez, etc.

So many greats. Maybe a top 20. His wins over Holman Williams are legit ATG wins and was the only one that seemed to have his number.
        Last edited by Gatling; 06-26-2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          Kid Gavilan, without a shadow of a doubt, is one of the top-five greatest Latino boxers of all time. The "Keed" fought long after his prime, but he was never stopped or even dropped. His final record was 108-30-5, but he went 10-17-1 in his last 28 fights. Gavilan is commonly considered one of the greatest welterweights of all time. He beat HOFers like Beau Jack, Billy Graham, Chuck Davey, Ike Williams, Carmen Basilio, and Gaspar Ortega. Gavilan went 25 total rounds with prime Ray Robinson, losing a controversial first meeting. In the fifties, when boxing enjoyed real popularity, "The Cuban Hawk" was a star on prime-time television. He's a legend.

Rigondeaux, as I said earlier, was mentioned in jest. But, in all seriousness, if "El Chacal" had turned pro at a young age, we might've been discussing his greatness in such a conversation a few years from now.
          Good post. Williams and Jack had no business above LW though.

Comment

1. Duran
            2. Monzon
            3. Arguello
            4. Jofre
            5. Chavez

Honourable mentions go to Gavilan, Olivares, Napoles.

Comment

Working...
            X